Charlie Brown Holiday Specials coming to PBS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hairyblue, Nov 18, 2020.

1. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  2. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    And you thought it was weird when they moved from CBS to ABC!

3. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    A number of cities may be airing it only on their PBS Kids subchannels, which not all cable systems carry. The current TV listings for San Francisco show that it will be on PBS Kids in that city.

mattack likes this.
  4. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I wonder what version it would be. Would it be a full uncut unedited version? I know it's presented without ads, and I'm sure Apple is paying PBS some money as well.

Considering the past few years they would've cut more and more and more out so they could stick in more ads, might this be one that's completely unedited to make a few more bucks?

mattack likes this.
  5. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL

Advertisements

Didn't know there was an edited version. They are also streaming it for free on their AppleTV for a limited time.

6. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Hasn't Christmas been fairly uncut in the ABC era, except for a couple of references to original sponsor Coca-Cola and a few instances of fixing animation errors that were done decades earlier?

I haven't gone out of my way to watch Thanksgiving in years so I wouldn't be a reliable source there.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  7. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I thought the reason ABC always aired the specials in hour-long blocks with additional animation tacked on was so it could air the uncut version with additional commercial time.

The only "traditional" special I can think of that had parts cut out to fit more commercials was an NBC airing of How the Grinch Stole Christmas; it even had one of those "This Program Has Been Edited From Its Original Version" disclaimers at the front. (NBC did air the unedited version at least once - in 2016, for the show's 50th anniversary; it was given a 35-minute time slot that night. This year's airings - one the day after Thanksgiving, and another on Christmas Day - are in 30-minute slots, so I assume it's the edited version.)

8. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    NBC aired "Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol" in 2012 for its 50th anniversary, in a version that was edited to fit in more commercials (it removed the "this is a Broadway play version of 'A Christmas Carol'" framing device scenes, and shortened and/or electronically sped up other scenes).

I'd actually closed-captioned a similarly edited version in 2002 for a 40th anniversary broadcast that never actually happened, and I remember posting a warning about the editing to Twitter in advance. (At the time, it was available uncut on Netflix streaming.)

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Live I've said many times, basically ANY show from previous years is edited, to add more commercial time. (I even remember discussion of one of the post-TNG Star Trek series even had its "on network" reruns edited for more commercials.. i.e. the equivalent of summer reruns on networks.)

10. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I couldn't find it, when I searched in the tivo app a while ago.. I'll search on the tivo itself later. (I too was wondering if this would be commercial free. I'd probably download a SD version, just because TS recordings often have glitches in them.)

11. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    All three PBS member stations in the L.A. market are simultaneously airing "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" on their main channels (and one is also airing it on the PBS Kids subchannel), so I assume it should be available on the PBS stations pretty much everywhere in the country.

tim1724 likes this.
  12. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Update: the latest schedule update for where I live shows that the San Francisco, Sacramento, and Sonoma PBS stations, as well as San Francisco and Sacramento's PBS Kids stations, are all airing it on Sunday 11/22 at 7:30 PM. (Noticeably absent is San Jose's station, although it is owned by KQED, which pretty much treats it as just another of its satellite channels, and I think one of its own subchannels is a duplicate of the San Francisco PBS Kids channel, so it will be available over the air there.)

13. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes, same here, 11/22 at 6:30pm (central), main and pbs kids simulcasting, according to the schedule at pbs.org.

we'll see if tivo catches up...

14. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    SF Bay Area, that's 192 and 1154 on Comcast.. (I think those are both really the same channel, but I'm recording on both and will download off TiVo on both if they're NOT the same, e.g. if one is HD.. but HD downloads are often glitchy in TS recordings, when PS recordings, normal MPEG, were fine.)

15. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    finally showed up in the guide here for Minneapolis PBS KTCA 2

paracelsus likes this.
  16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    You posted to Twitter in 2002 about something streaming on Netflix?

17. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    ACB Thanksgiving is *really* poor.
    But of note,
    (1) Woodstock eating turkey, in the most sympathetic depiction of cannibalism ever in kids' TV;
    (2) Oh hey, I used to watch this when I was the kids' age, and now I'm married to a grandmother who lives in a condominium.

18. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    I watched the free AppleTV version and recorded the PBS. I now have it on my NAS for next year. The Apple version was cropped to fit the screen.

I still think that Snoopy fighting with the folding chair to be very funny. And the water colored backgrounds look great.

19. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    No, I posted in 2012, figuring that NBC would be using the same edit that I'd seen in 2002 (which did appear to be the case).

20. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Neither Twitter not streaming existed back then, of course.