Channels that are "Un-Tuneable" but yet Authorized?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by michael1248, Aug 29, 2020.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002

Advertisements

Took advantage of an offer from my cable company (Spectrum) to upgrade my channel lineup for 30 days for free...

After checking out the new channels, I found that a lot of them did not tune in and I got the "Searching for Signal" message. I know that I have them, because I also am running a cable box that tunes every single (new) channel in perfectly. I also did the cold reboot, the repeat guided setup thing.

Just got off the telephone with TiVo support and got walked thru a whole bunch of diagnostics. They say it is a hardware problem and one of the chips is bad. The modulation was switching between 64 and 256 and there was no signal strength showing up on the channels that I wasn't receiving.

Just wondering if I am being "BSed," or if the TiVo guy was correct....

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Does Spectrum require a tuning adapter or do they deliver some channels as IP only? That could explain the inability to tune the channels.

Teeps and NorthAlabama like this.
  3. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    spectrum in my area requires a cable card and tuning adapter to allow tivo to work properly.

OP it can help get more accurate answers if your city and state info is included in the profile.

4. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Spectrum has never required a tuning adapter. My Roamio always worked fine even when I got free premium channels during past promotions.

I am in Crested Butte, Colorado

As previously stated, the TiVo guy walked me to the diagnostic screen and we discovered that the channels I am not receiving were getting a 64 and 256 modulation (switching back and forth), as opposed to the solid 256 modulation that the good channels were receiving. That is why he thinks there is a hardware failure causing both problems.

I will probably call Weakness tomorrow and see if they ever heard of this issue and if they have a possible fix.

After speaking with both Spectrum and TiVo, the tuning adapter issue never came up...

5. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY

Advertisements

Do yourself a favor: Get a Tuning Adapter and if those channels don’t come back, I’ll eat my hat.

ajwees41 and HerronScott like this.
  6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Did you ask?
    Just say'n in my area timewarner/spectrum has had tuning adapters since 2011 or 12...
    Only so much crap can be pushed down the pipe thus the need for SDV and the tuning adapter.

[​IMG]

7. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  8. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    After reading everyone's comments (I posted on Coffeehouse as well) , I decided to have Spectrum ship one to me. There are no stores in my area and a service call would have cost me $49. Shipping via Fedex was free.
    Are they difficult to set up?

Teeps likes this.
  9. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    Ha! That’s a good one....

But seriously, they’ve gotten better. They’re flaky in the sense that if they sneeze the wrong way, your recordings end. But that’s become less commonplace than it once was.

10. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Did you also ask for hook up kit, if not may or may not come with it. If not will need USB cable with square end like a lot of printers use.

11. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    No. I've done self install of several t/adapters over the years.
    If there are no setup instructions in the box.
    Try calling this number: 855-286-1736

12. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002

I did not ask for a hookup kit...

Hopefully, the three-way splitter that I am going to use (one for the free Spectrum box provided by the HOA) will not degrade my 98% overall signal strength. The Spectrum box was also shipped with all the needed wires and equipment. We'll see what shows up...

13. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If there is an unused port on the 3 way split.
    Just connect the coax from the split to the tuning adapter and leave the "output" on the tuning adapter empty. Better put a cap with 75ohm load in place.

[​IMG]

14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'm assuming he's going to use the 3 ports for the Spectrum box, TiVo and Tuning Adapter.

Scott