1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channels go blank when overheating

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by luv2rallye, May 29, 2018.

1. luv2rallye

luv2rallye New Member

Apr 30, 2018
    I have a brand new Roamio OTA 1TB VOX DVR. When the unit's internal temperature (MBT) get's 43*C or more, it sometimes blanks out the picture on most channels. A couple channels still work but by far, most don't. There is no loss of signal or any other indication anything is wrong or is overheated. The case on the right side (board side) of the unit gets extremely hot (more so than it's normal hotness). My only recourse is to unplug the unit from the wall and wait 15 minutes for it to cool down. The unit is in an open air environment and I have verified the internal fan is operating.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I haven't had that and, personally, would simply have the unit replaced for free while you can.

jrtroo and fcfc2 like this.
  3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    +1 That can't be right. What temperatures do you see when it's not overheating?

4. luv2rallye

luv2rallye New Member

Apr 30, 2018
    When the MBT is 41-42*C it seems to work ok but the case is still very hot to the touch. Being this is my first DVR, I don't know how hot is "normal". Is 41-42* normal?

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    It's not normal for the box to be blanking out channels or to get extremely hot. Exchange it while you can.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. luv2rallye

luv2rallye New Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Yes. This one addresses a channels going blank when getting hot problem while the other stresses a need for a real power down option (which overheating is just one reason). Two different topics so I thought there should be two threads tracking them separately. Plus the first is a problem (so it's in this forum) while the other is a suggestion and so is in the suggestion forum (so it will be with the other suggestions and easily found by TiVo and remembered there).

dlfl and JoeKustra like this.
  8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Understand. This morning my 3TB Roamio is 39C. The room is 70F and the external fan is pushing a very small amount of air. This TiVo is five feet off the floor. The other cooler TiVo is two feet off the floor. Little things matter.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    My Roamio is the basic (4-tuner) model, configured for cable tv with stock 500GB HDD. It's in an enclosed cabinet with large vent holes cut into the rear panel, and located about 18 inches above floor level. Room temperature is 75F. The internal temp is 41C and it's performing perfectly (except for occasional problems related to the TA and lousy Rovi guide data).

I still think your (the OP's) TiVo is defective and should be returned for exchange.

fcfc2 likes this.
  10. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    You might want to approach your poblem as not heat related and debug it that way, then as a last resort consider heat being the issue.

11. luv2rallye

luv2rallye New Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Just wondering why you have an external fan. Does it overheat without it or what?

Yesterday I bought a 4" fan to blow right next to the left side vent slots of my OTA 1TB Roamio VOX unit. It significantly lowers the MBT (main board temp), and the case temperature (to my hand touching the top right side), and seems to make everything work better. My room is 80-83*F. Perhaps that has also been a contributing factor to my problems although the constant-on MBT has always been around 41-42*C (before I added the external fan) no matter what the room temp has been, even when less than 80* (70-75*F) in the morning. I'm now thinking it's normal (or at least usual) for the OTA Roamio DVR to run that hot with the case being very hot to the touch. The OTA Roamio DVR just has a tiny 1" toy fan inside it in the very middle between the hard drive and the main board (blowing a very tiny amount of air toward the main board). It doesn't blow air out of the unit at all near the end vent slots like it really should - a very poor design. The fan also looks so tiny and cheap that you know it's going to stop working in less than a year being it's on 24/7. {I read someone else here mentioned his Roamio OTA fan stopped working after just a few weeks (Need a real power down option).}

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    One basic Roamio has a 3TB drive, five feet from the floor, and little room for natural air flow. It's enclosed on four out of six sides. Without the fan (AC Infinity 120cm) the MBT was 43C. I have two other units with 1TB drives and better air flow that run 37C. So I thought I would help out the warmer unit. It went down to 40C.

As for the fan failures. My only failure, due to it being noisy, was the last OTA I bought last BF. I have Roamio boxes going back to 2013 and never had a fan problem.

Thank you for posting your room temperature. It explains your elevated MBT.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    LOL, yes that might be a factor! And maybe a factor for overheating people in the room. :p

aaronwt likes this.
  14. CIR-Engineering

CIR-Engineering Video Calibration & Electronics Repair Engineer

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Get the box replaced. It isn’t right and will probably get worse.

craigr

Montgomery Burns likes this.
  15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And the warranty will have expired.