Channels don't match Comcast or Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by frendli, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1 of 19
    frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    My apologies if this is a duplicate thread. I searched but couldn't find this problem.

I just got my comcast turned on today at a new place in San Jose (95125), moving from Sunnyvale (94187) where everything worked fine.

I started browsing channels tonight and they are all wrong! My Tivo agrees with the comcast web site, but when I tune to the channel, it's either missing or different. For example, 702 is supposed to be fox in hd, but it was showing nbc non-hd. 705 is supposed to be CBS, but it was showing an NBC affiliate as well. 712 is supposed to be CW HD but is showing Bloomberg. You get the idea.

They are so screwed up that I don't think it's a guided set up issue. I was on the phone with comcast support, but the guy I got stuck with hadn't ever troubleshot a Tivo before, so predictably I spent most of my time on hold and we got nowhere before eventually getting cut off.

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this?
    Thanks in advance,
    Arik

2. Jul 8, 2011 #2 of 19
    frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    One detail I forgot... all of the premium channels (HBO & Showtime) appear to be correct.

3. Jul 8, 2011 #3 of 19
    lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    Did you redo Guided Setup for your new location?

4. Jul 8, 2011 #4 of 19
    frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    going on 4 times now.

5. Jul 8, 2011 #5 of 19
    TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Try another nearby zip code and see if it matches.

6. Jul 8, 2011 #6 of 19
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Is your cablecard authorized?

7. Jul 8, 2011 #7 of 19
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    This is just a guess but maybe, since it's the cable cards job to map the channels to the correct number, the card is defective.

8. Jul 8, 2011 #8 of 19
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If it doesn't match, report a channel lineup issue.

9. Jul 8, 2011 #9 of 19
    frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Thanks, everyone. It is not really a channel lineup issue, because the configuration of channels is totally illogical. The HD are not grouped together, for example. And, many channels are not there. It's more like the pointers are all randomized.

Cable cards were working in old house. Hard to imagine 4 going bad all at once, but maybe they don't work in new location?

Had tech out today, and reached the Comcast office in Livermore who seem more helpful, but nothing has worked yet. I will try a slightly different zip and see if that helps.

Thanks,
    Arik

10. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Is this a new cablecard that was provisioned for a new Comcast headend in the new location? Or did you keep your old cablecard?

11. frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Kept the old cable cards (4 of them). If the myriad of signals that the technician just sent doesn't work, the plan is to get 4 new ones tomorrow. I don't know if there's a difference, since I'm about 10 miles away from the old location, but we'll see.

Thanks,
    Arik

12. mbates73

mbates73 Hug Your TiVo 2Day

Nov 4, 2010
    Alpharetta, GA
    I had the same problem in Atlanta and it was due to the wrong provider being selected. I cant remember the order of things ... but at some point the tivo asked for my cable provider and it gave a list that had a number of entries. "Comcast Atlanta" is the one I chose but this was wrong. Same issue you have - everything all out of whack. Turned out, i needed to select "Atlanta WOW" (or some other non-intuitive selection).

Hope this helps and good luck!

-Matt

13. frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Thanks, Matt!
    There are a couple other options there besides "Comcast", so I'll give that a try.

-Arik

14. frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Other choices were AT&T U-verse and something called Warp-Speed Fiber Optic TV. Neither worked.

Got new cable cards and went through the process with a confident and competent sounding technician. She assured me that if this didn't work, there was something wrong with the signal entering the house. So, they're coming out again tomorrow morning to try again.

If I didn't like my Tivo so much, I would have cut the cord long ago...

15. mbates73

mbates73 Hug Your TiVo 2Day

Nov 4, 2010
    Alpharetta, GA
    That sucks it didnt help... please let us know when they have it figured out and what the cause was. I would be in the same boat as you trying anything to get it working - love my tivos.

Again, good luck and hope you get it resolved soon.

16. WatchingSalmon

WatchingSalmon New Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Same thing happened to my tivo last week (without the move; it was just screwed up one day after a thunderstorm). NBC showed TBS, Food Network showed cartoons, etc. A helpful Comcast tech *gasp* got it figured out. There were two issues, no telling which was the actual culprit.

1) My account was linked to a different cableCARD
    2) My cableCARD needed an update

So after a quick call in to get the correct information in the system, he did a "hard" reset: unplug the tivo for a full 15 minutes, then back on. Strangely enough, it took an additional 5 or 10 minutes even after the boot for the new channel settings to come through, but they did. Best part: he credited my account $20 for the trouble!

17. frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Monday night, still not working.

The executive technical person in the regional office told me on Friday that to pair cable cards requires three signals: initialize signal, pairing signal, and channel lineup signal. She tried these but it didn't help.

I replaced both cable cards in one tivo, got them re-paired and tried repeating the guided setup, then also did a hard reset, but that didn't help.

I got yet another tech who assured me that "if this doesn't work, there's something wrong with the signal going into your home."

It didn't work, so I made an appointment to have someone come out first thing Sunday. He didn't do much that was new, but we did determine the signal into the house is fine, because the comcast is getting the channels that my tivo isn't. He was on the phone with someone who said it was a TiVo problem-- the machine needs to be reset after the move.

I called Tivo and they told me that repeating the guided setup IS the reset after the move, so it is a cable card issue. He said there is no other reset.

I reached the exec at the regional office again today, and she said she'd try one more thing from her office (I assume some kind of combination of signals to the cable cards), and if that didn't work, she'd have to get her "tech team" involved.

It didn't work, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what this tech team is all about tomorrow. In the meantime I'm trying the 15-minute power off as an act of desperation (also because it's a rest day in the Tour de France).

I hope when this is finally fixed, I will at least have something helpful to pass along in this forum.

Cheers,
    Arik

18. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Have you looked at the diagnostic pages and/or the Tivo troubleshooting FAQs to determine if the cablecards are even receiving any signals from Comcast?

19. frendli

frendli New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    I went through the troubleshooting, and have gotten as far as determining that none of my four cable cards have received a channel map. Per the page,

"If the CableCARD cannot get a channel map, the TiVo box may not be communicating with the cable headend over the OOB, or there is a valid OOB connection but the CableCARD is not activated."

So, I think you're right, they're not communicating. But so far no one has been able to do anything about it! I've got a supervisor coming out Thursday morning, so hopefully they've seen this before and know how to fix it.

Cheers,
    Arik