Channel Scan problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by glen4cindy, Mar 17, 2019.

1. glen4cindy

glen4cindy Member

Jul 18, 2003
    St. Louis
    I'm having an odd issue with my TiVo. It caused me to clear and delete everything and start over but the problem isn't better, it might be worse.

I am trying to view channels 7.2 mostly which I believe is RF channel 19.

The TiVo scans 7.1, 7.1*, 7.2, 7.2*, etc.

There is guide information for 7.1, and 7.2 but if I tune to those channels it is unable to view them.

If I tune to the 7.2* I can view the channel just fine.

I'm confused by this. Some DTV channel sites show this channel should be easy to receive from my location. I believe I'm 13 miles from the tower.

I have a rooftop Mohu Sail antenna that is supposed to be Omni-directional but I have it pointed nearly directly around 228 degrees which is where most of the towers should be. I have about 25 to 30 feet of RG-6 coax from the antenna to the pre-amp that came with the Sail.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    An * indicates the channel was found by antenna scan, and that it does not exist in the channel lineup downloaded from the mother ship. What you are seeing is very common with the current FCC channel repack where many stations are having to change their broadcast frequency.

So what is PROBABLY happening is that your local station changed frequencies, but Bad_Rovi has not updated their channel lineup. Your only option is to report the problem to TiVo and wait for them to fix it.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It was: St Louis Television Stations but it may have moved to physical 36.

4. glen4cindy

glen4cindy Member

Jul 18, 2003
    St. Louis
    This: "50.1 W50CH Religious 36"?

The chart you linked is one that I looked at too. Shows 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, etc on RF 19.

If it has moved, how do I make the TiVo realize this so it will tune it properly?

5. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Done told you this once - let's try it just one more time:

Your only option is to report the problem to TiVo and wait for them to fix it.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Only TiVo can fix lineup issues. If your TV can show the frequency of a channel, there is a way to find its physical channel. I can't help with that. Best you can do is tell TiVo: Report a Lineup Issue

7. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    If you want to verify the channel that it is actually broadcasting on, select 7.1* in the Antenna Signal Strength screen, and it will show the digital channel (TiVo incorrectly calls it the "frequency").

The actual broadcast frequency is shown in the Diagnostics screen, but you need to know the digital channel number to fill out the channel lineup problem form.

8. glen4cindy

glen4cindy Member

Jul 18, 2003
    St. Louis
    Sorry, I was posting a response to Joe before I saw your response. I understand now. Thanks.

9. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Once TiVo does finally update the channel lineup, you MAY need to go into the channel list to check the correct channels and un-check any invalid ones.

10. glen4cindy

glen4cindy Member

Jul 18, 2003
    St. Louis
    TiVo has contacted me back asking for more information.

The signal strength screens show "36" as the ones with no signal and "19" as the active ones.

The guide seems to show data for 36 so tuning to those shows the blank screen and the message that it was unable to tune to the channel.

11. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    That is consistent with a channel that started out broadcasting on digital channel 36 and has now been changed to digital channel 19. Should be a quick and easy fix for TiVo to just change the digital channel in the lineup. But they don't make anything easy!

12. glen4cindy

glen4cindy Member

Jul 18, 2003
    St. Louis
    Everything is fixed. TiVo asked for clarification which I provided. They didn't even respond to me but my guide is just working as it should.

Sweet!

We will be using this full time soon. I had to get a few of these things figured out first!