"Channel not authorized" intermittent disconnects

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by JonUrban, May 3, 2021.

1. JonUrban

JonUrban New Member

Dec 25, 2015

Advertisements

I have a Bolt with a Mini, and today I am getting intermittent signal from my cable company, where every 2-3 minutes, the signal drops and I get the above message. After a minute or two, the picture comes back, only to drop out again a few minutes later.

This happens on all channels (that I tested)

I have rebooted the Bolt without resolve, then rebooted the tuning adapter, problem stayed. I then powered down the Bolt and pulled the Cable Card and reseated it. Then fired it all up and still have the same issue. So I switched to Apple TV and the Spectrum app for tonight.

So, my question is this. Could this be a faulty signal from the street/cable, or could it be my Cable Card is crapping out?

Has anyone seen this before? My cable provider, Charter/Spectrum, is clueless when it comes to Tivo, so before I call them and get no help at all, I wanted to ask about this here.

mdavej likes this.
  2. tommiet

tommiet Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I also have Charter/Spectrum... I see the same message a couple times a week and this is a cable issue, not an issue with your TiVo hardware. It usually only happens for a few minutes and returns to normal after. Actually seen it today during a local thunder storm.

A work around for me is to use the Spectrum app on my Samsung TV or if OTA, use my Recast.

3. JonUrban

JonUrban New Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. I sorta figured it was Charter/Spectrum. I'll check it tomorrow, but for tonight, like you suggest, I'm on the app

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Log in to your DOCSIS Modem and check it's signal levels as a 'reference' for what your incoming signal levels are.

-KP

5. JonUrban

JonUrban New Member

Dec 25, 2015

Advertisements

UPDATE: After having this happen for 3 days (and watching TV using the Spectrum App on Apple TV) I finally called Spectrum/Charter to report the issue. After 20 minutes of automated crap where they attempted to reset and restart my box, which I don't really have (it's a Tuning Adapter), I finally got to a point where I could press '0' and get to a live person.

They said "Oh yes, we are having an issue with all customers in your area with cable cards. We thought we had it fixed, but we're still working on it"

Swell.

It's working now, so if anyone has this issue in the future and sees this thread, just call the cable company and sit through the crap to see if it's their problem.

6. jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Three weeks ago I was having the same problem but on a continuous basis of "channels not authorized" but only specific groups of channels (75 to 81, etc.). I was also getting pixilation on some other channels. I have Verizon. Of course Verizon blamed Tivo and Tivo blamed Verizon. Verizon sent out a tech who found frayed coaxial cables but this did not solve the problem. We then swapped out the Bolt with another one I had from another room (no problems there) and the problem disappeared. It was the Tivo.

Luckily I had an extended warranty and Tivo sent me a replacement and problem solved.

John

7. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    I had a very similar experience the other night with my Bolt Vox and Verizon. I thought for sure it was going to be my Bolt. But, fortunately I took advantage of getting a free STB for just this reason. When the STB had trouble with the same channels, it was a great relief, and by morning it all cleared up. So, it can go either way!