Channel Mapping Corruption OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by n5pwp, Oct 18, 2017.

1. n5pwp

n5pwp Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I've checked on the AVSForums for OTA in Houston and found several other people as well as I are experiencing this odd behavior. It started last week. Our local CBS affiliate had been having video errors like pixelation. It then went to black screens with a V53 error code. Sometimes we get a frozen screen of whatever program was on at the time. I noticed that in the EPG that the main channel (11-1) was in there twice. I checked the channel list and it was in there twice. The sub-channels (11-2 and 3) have no issue. In fact I found a work-around was to use the channel key on the remote to backup into 11-1 would give me back the channel. None of our other broadcast channels have this problem either. I tried a channel scan to see if it would clear up any goofups in the channel table. No help. I restarted the Tivo and that didn't work either. Finally I did a Tivo setup. Hey! It worked 11-1 was back. I figured I found the problem. A few hours later, back to the black screen again. One of the guys on the AVSForums called Tivo support and got the run-around about the V53 being a signal problem from the cable provider. I don't know if that is a stock answer. The support people assume 'Everybody' is on cable or it just means a generic signal problem from where ever you get your signal. By the way, we're not on cable. Then they told him his signal was too low. Mine is in the 80's. Its not a signal strength issue. It just started happening last week. I have had my Roamio since the beginning of 2014 and I have not had a problem with signal strength from channel 11 the whole time. That would lead one to wonder if something had changed in ch 11's signal. I have no way to know. So I have written to the station engineer to ask if they did something last week that could cause this problem. The weirdness though is that it only seems to happen to Tivo Roamios. I have two LG TVs and neither one of them has the issue. That makes me think channel 11 is doing something not quite right but its within the tolerance of the LG TVs and Roamio is just rigid about how it handles things that are just not quite right. So it may be a combination of issues. I have looked to see if there is any software out there that I can use to try to analyze what the station is putting out. So far I haven't found any. What else can I do to try to narrow down where the issue is? I did Google the issue and over the years there have been similar issues with Tivos. Plus, they've been with different CBS stations around the country. I wonder if CBS is putting something in their stream that could be causing this issue? Have any of you run into this issue? If so how did you go about troubleshooting it and get a resolution.

The investigation goes on.

Mike

2. n5pwp

n5pwp Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Well just to close the loop. It appears after I left the previous post and contacted the station's engineer I checked my Tivo and noticed that it was on the new 20.7.4 firmware. Also, it appears that the problem got resolved. The release notes don't say anything about my particular problem. I don't think it was the fix. I'm going to assume the station engineer knew what the issue was and corrected it. I can't say I was satisfied with Tivo's support though. Sending me a couple of links to so-called cable issues when I'm using OTA and then immediately closing the case is not the way to provide Tivo quality support. Of course I got the auto-generated survey request after the event and I made sure I told them what my experience was. Who knows if they even look at the response. Anyway, I'm back to normal now.

Mike

tim1724 likes this.
  3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I had what sounds like the same problem on my old Vizio TV. I re-ran the channel scan, and it started picking up the CBS station that had disappeared clear as a bell. I can only assume the info about the actual broadcast frequency got corrupted in the TV's nonvolatile memory.

4. n5pwp

n5pwp Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Thant's kind of what I figured had happened. That the channel mapping had gotten corrupted. Only problem was the channel scan didn't fix it. I then thought I needed to clear the channel from the Tivo's memory. I thought there used to be a channel clear but could not find it in the new GUI. I finally discovered that if you press the clear button when in the channel list it will clear the channels but it also forces you through a Tivo setup. That would clear it for a while but the corruption came back for me. I've gotten a report from another user in our area that says his Tivo Roamio is on 20.7.4 and he still has problems. I thought the station engineer might have corrected something in their stream. But this guy still has the problem so I don't know why it just started working for the rest of us. Some people say they got a permanent fix by doing the Tivo setup procedure. IDK what fixed it now. Things that mysteriously go away on their own have a habit of popping back up later. We'll see what happens.
    Mike

5. n5pwp

n5pwp Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Although I haven't had the problem with the Tivo not able to tune 11.1 directly in a while there is still something going on at KHOU. I've been using TSReader to monitor the stations in the area and KHOU is suffering from some kind of problems as is evidenced by the numbers of errors I'm seeing compared to say KTRK-13. Checkout the Continuity Errors and TEI Errors on ch11 vs ch13. I'm still seeing 11.1 with screens that freeze and pixellation. Channel 13 seems to be rock-solid.

Mike
    KHOU-11 TSReader.PNG KTRK-13 TSReader.PNG

6. e832

e832 New Member

Oct 25, 2017
    I have an older TiVo Premiere XL, and it's exhibiting the same black screen, and error message (V53) with 11.1 KHOU. This started about 2 weeks ago. All my other channels are fine. My other TV (without Tivo) picks up KHOU fine with the OTA antenna.

7. n5pwp

n5pwp Member

Feb 21, 2015
    e832: Well that's disheartening. I thought it might just be a sensitivity that the Roamio line suffered from. It now sounds like it might just be a Tivo weakness.

8. Nov 2, 2017 #8 of 15
    millercv1

millercv1 New Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Was just working on this exact problem on 11–1. I was seeing if I channel up to 11-1 it worked and channel down to it it wouldn’t.

I restarted and rebooted and Suddenly it said installing update and now I’m on 20.7.4. I still get an error message when I turn directly to it via the remote

9. Nov 2, 2017 #9 of 15
    n5pwp

n5pwp Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Backup your recordings and OnePasses and run through the Tivo setup. I did that after I noticed I was upgraded to 20.7.4 and it seems to have gone away for me. In fact in the last few days 11-1 seems to have gone back to its normal behavior. I can go directly to 11-1 and I get no frozen frames or pixelation.

10. cg77018

cg77018 New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    I’m in the exact same boat, but mine has not corrected yet and I am on the most current update. It’s been like this since Harvey. Please help!

11. lronglien

lronglien New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I've got 72% signal strength on several stations but the V53 error showing on those channels. Other channels are just fine. Not sure what if anything there is to do.

12. Alcarl

Alcarl New Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Thank you so much!!

This has been plaguing me for a month. I put up a new antenna and still the same thing so I called TiVo and got the run around about my signal strength.

I just went through the guided setup and 11.1 is back to normal. Hopefully it holds out.

I did call tech support back and told them of the fix so they can hopefully help other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. lronglien

lronglien New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    So here's how mine worked out. We have about 40 - 50 OTA channels and there were some that, even though they were showing up as 70%+ signal strength, some would not come in. On the channel list I unchecked all the ones that I have no interest in watching. The took me down to about 12 channels over all. I restarted my TIVO and the 12 showed up. I wonder if the unit is capable of handling as many channels as there are in certain Metro areas? Once I got this down to fewer channels they have come in fine.

14. cg77018

cg77018 New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Going through the channel setup again initially fixed it, but maybe a week later it went back to the black screen. This has become a major pain in the arse! We cut cable because the majority of shows we watch are OTA and are specifically on CH11, now we are left in the dark. I have a strong feeling that this is something on CBS. Why? They are the only OTA network that does not offer steaming of shows without paying a monthly premium and since that's not as lucrative as they would have hoped, they are now screwing us cord cutters. If anyone has an update to this isseu, please please share it!

15. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    yes it is. When I lived in Minneapolis there was over 50 stations OTA I could get and the Tivo worked fine. Actually due to the large area the Minneapolis market covers (it runs from the Iowa border almost to Canada) the actual list is probably 70-75 stations in the list.

The key thing is some stations may not be mapped properly. Remember with digital the station in alot of cases does not use the same RF station to broadcast on as you're use to seeing. As example Minneapolis CBS (WCCO) is on RF32 but maps to 4-1 & 4-2. If your channel database is big you may see screwups. Best thing to do is to verify that the station you want to see is lined up with the right RF station. Since you mention signal strength you know how to get into the antenna signal screen. See if the numbers match up (the RF station and what it maps to is correct). If you need to know what station it broadcasts on you can check rabbitears.info
    RabbitEars.Info