"Channel List" settings change when I reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Brainiac 5, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...

Advertisements

Here's something I've noticed: When I reboot my TiVo, some (or all?) channels that I've unchecked in the "Channel List" switch back to being checked. I don't think I've observed the opposite - unchecked channels becoming checked.

Does this happen to anyone else?

2. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Yes, it does to me.

3. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Same here. only some of the unchecked channels return to checked.

It is probably coincedental, but the majority of the channels that switch from unchecked to checked upon a reboot are the foreign language channels (Univision, Galavision, Telemundo, etc...)

The only non-foreign channel I have seen do this is the NBA channel...

All the shopping channels, ppv, non-subscribed premiums, etc remain unchecked.

If it matters, I am a Comcast customer using SA brand cable cards.

Man, I wish TiVo would go back to an electronic bug submission form. I hate having to call them to report bugs.

4. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    Do you also have one or more pairs of duplicate cable channels? I'm wondering if the channels database is getting confused by the duplicates.

By "pairs of duplicate cable channels," I mean something like the following in the Channels List:
    cbl 13 WNET
    cbl 13 WNET
    where the former is the digital feed and the latter is the analog feed of the same channel. You might have found the digital channel by doing a Channel Scan.

5. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma

Advertisements

No, I don't have any duplicate channels like you describe.

6. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    I don't have duplicate channels either.

Interestingly, I am also on Comcast with SA brand CableCARDs.

7. SpokaneDoug

SpokaneDoug New Member

Sep 10, 2006
    Sammamish, WA
    Yes, I have a channel I've unchecked that keeps coming back to a 'checked' state.
    I recorded something from it once; I suspect that might have something to do with it.

8. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    In my case I'm pretty sure I haven't recorded anything on most of the channels that come back - there's only one of them that I actually should be able to receive (and I don't actually even receive that one, which is a whole other problem...).

I finally talked to TiVo about this, and they suggested that it could be caused by the CableCARDs(!) and that I should try swapping them for new ones (an unfortunate suggestion since it means waiting at home all day for Comcast to come "install" them). It is true that when I boot the TiVo, at first it will not tune channels and will say something like "please wait - acquiring channel information." I had assumed that this is normal - is it?

I could imagine that when the TiVo boots, since it doesn't have the channel information from the CableCARDs, it may "forget" its knowledge about the channels. However, I thought that was normal, in which case, wouldn't this affect everyone?

One other thing I was wondering, though - does anyone with this problem NOT have Scientific Atlanta CableCARDs?

9. phototrek

phototrek Member

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I have Motorola CCs and have the same problem. Some channels - esp. spanish ones - keep coming back.

10. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    There goes that theory. :confused:

How about my asking then: does anyone definitely not have this problem? In my case, I can reproduce it every time by:

1. Make sure there's a channel I've unchecked myself (vs. unchecked being the initial default state).
    2. Go back to live TV (just to make sure; some people have said you need to go out of the menu system to have the changes "stick").
    3. Reboot the TiVo.
    4. Observe that the unchecked channel(s) have become checked.
    Also, for anyone whose S3 does not have this problem, does it give you the "please wait - acquiring channels" screen if you go to live TV immediately after rebooting? (I'm thinking everyone's does that, but I'd like to make sure...)

11. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    I have SA CC's and channels that I have unchecked also are rechecked. I wasn't sure exactly when they were re-checked but I guess it is after a reboot.

UPDATE: I can confirm that after rebooting channels that I unchecked get rechecked.

12. wackymann

wackymann Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Boston Area
    I only had this problem with "overlaid" channels. i.e. channels that are 1 physical channel with more than one guide entry - e.g. NFL Network HD, FSNE-HD, and INHD share a channel (881) on my Comcast system, so it is listed in the guide 3 times - same channel number, different programming. Obviously only 1 of the 3 is actually being shown at any given time (Usually INHD), but all 3 are always there in the guide because apparently there is no way for them to predict WHICH will be showing in advance. If I were to uncheck one of them to avoid seeing it in the guide, it would randomly reappear. All other channels I uncheck work fine and never come back. I have Motorola cable cards.

13. r11roadster

r11roadster High templar

Oct 23, 2006
    I have 3 that come back after a reboot also. These are channels that I unchecked after the initial guided setup. I wonder if I do a GS and uncheck all the channels that I don't want if they will 'stick'

14. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    If you try that, let us know how it works. I've tried it myself, but one problem I had was that guided setup didn't seem to ask me about all the channels I wanted to uncheck - it only let me choose for the premium channels (or did I miss something?). Some of the ones I'm unchecking are ones it apparently doesn't consider "premium."

15. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    One more thing - earlier I mentioned getting the "please wait - acquiring channels" message after every reboot (when going to live TV or the channels list); is that normal?

I'm wondering if this is the cause of the channels getting re-checked, or if it happens to everyone, even if they don't have this problem.

16. r11roadster

r11roadster High templar

Oct 23, 2006
    Don't get the acquiring channels message so I doubt that's it. the channel I deselected right after guided setup never come back. It's only ones that I try to remove now that resurface after a reboot. It was still indexing when I did it the first time so that may have something to do with it. It's only 3 channels so I will probably just wait for 8.1 to see if that cures it for me. It's working now and I don't want to do anything to change that :)

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've rebooted my three S3 boxes 3 times in the last day and the channel list is still has the same channels I've checked and also the ones I made favorites. No changes on any of the S3s.

18. kabewm

kabewm New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    I have de-selected a bunch of channels I don't have. Upon every reboot, a few of them come back. This really pisses me off. Come on TiVo, let me delete channels I know I don't have.

19. MPAC

MPAC New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Every time a lineup change occurs (which currently is almost everyday) the channels preferences get unchecked. Not all of them get unchecked, only the ones I unchecked after my initial setup. All the channels that I unchecked the very first time I removed channels seem to 'stick'; the rest get unchecked nearly daily. Basically I have to uncheck about 100 foreign language channels several times a week.

20. pashasurf7873

pashasurf7873 New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Hawaii
    having the same problem here in Hawaii with Time warner using Scientific Atlanta CC's. Annoying cause I keep unchecking my SD NBC station and next thing I know its recording all the NBC tivo suggestions on the SD channel instead of HD.