Channel List Received: No

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by robking, Sep 18, 2011.

1. robking

robking New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Raleigh,NC
    I have to say this has been the most frustrating experience of my entire life. We are at 3 weeks and counting, attempting to get Premiere and cablecard to work with TWC in Raleigh, NC. Two Tivos, three cable cards (the last of which was brand new, in the box, manufactured 7/7/11), and still nothing.

All combinations of tivo/cablecard have made it to the same point (no TA connected):

- CA screen shows "Ready"
    - CA screens shows many EMMs received
    - DAVIC screen shows "Locked"
    - CP screen shows "CP auth received"
    - Subscription is good through middle of October
    - DVR diagnostics shows "channel list received : no" for the cable card
    - RS corrected/uncorrected errors are less than 100 and not incrementing
    - Going to "test channels" displays "please wait, acquiring channels"
    - Going to "live TV" displays "error displaying live TV"

We have had four different TWC technicians, two of which have checked signal levels, etc. At one point, we put a long piece of RG6 from the back of the Tivo out to the street to completely eliminate any in house wiring issues. Countless guided setups, cable card remove and reinserts. TWC has even gone as far to republish the channel map for the Raleigh area, no luck.

As many have reported, I am caught in a wizzing contest between Tivo and TWC.

Tivo says its a TWC signal integrity issue. We removed a Scientific Atlanta DVR that has worked flawlessly (as flawlessly as it can, which isn't saying much) and moved the cable from the SA box to the Tivo. We still have a separate TWC box connected to a Series 1, and it continues to decode channels just fine using the same coax connection. I find it
    very hard to believe that we have a bad signal, if anything it might be too hot.

TWC says that Tivo has issues. We have used Tivo for OTA for a few months before making
    the switch to cablecard (I put it off because I figured it would be a PITA, I should be so lucky predicting the freakin' stock market). With all the various bugs I've encountered with the premiere, that would not surprise me. Of course Tivo cites the zillions of customers happily using cablecards. Apparently my house is some kind of geographical oddity.

I've been working with a Tivo supervisor as of the last week or so, who has at least assured me they will give me all my money back if at any time I decide I've had enough. I *really* would like for this thing to work, our Series 1 is over 10 years old and has been the best thing since sliced cheese.

I have to give TWC credit, they have been trying everything and have given me multiple calls a day to check on status and try things (usually the same old "let me hit it one more time"). They swear they have triple checked the headend configuration, and that if they
    had a channel map issue all customers would be complaining.

I would appreciate suggestions as to where to go from here. Here are the things I've come up with and pursuing:

- I am synching up with a neighbor who I found out has a Tivo and cablecard; if theirs
    works then we should be able to disconnect theirs, hook mine up, send it hits and
    hopefully get a !@#$@!#$ channel map

- I'm trying to get TWC to let me bring Tivo in and see if we can get it to work in their
    lab, however they are dragging their feet a little on this one.

Thanks so much for any and all help/suggestions/condolences/etc.

2. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Check a few things in the Tuning Adapter Diagnostics.

Settings and Messages -> Account and System Information -> Tuning Adapter Diagnostics -> Status Summary -> Next Page

We should be on a screen that says RF Parameters.

For Tuner, FDC and RDC you will see 3 sets of numbers. The second set is the one we care about. What values do you have for those 3 items (Tuner, FDC and RDC)?

Hit the Home option and go into PowerKey Info, then hit Next twice: what is your SubExpires date?

Home option again, go into Switch Digital Video: what is your Service Group (GP)?

Home option, Next Page, UDCP. What does "UDCP:" say? Same goes for "Authorization:", "Session Info LTS0:" and "Session Info LTS1:."

3. robking

robking New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Raleigh,NC
    Thanks, sorry took so long. Here's the info.

Tuner: 5 dBmV
    FDC: -5 dBmV
    RDC: 51 dBmV

Sub Expires: 1015.081600

Service Gp: 6234

UDCP Connected
    Authorized: Yes

SESSION INFO LTS0
    RequestTime: n/a
    Chan/Src/CA: 0/0/Yes
    LastErr: NoErr
    LastErrTime: n/a

SESSION INFO LTS1
    RequestTime: n/a
    Chan/Src/CA: 0/0/Yes
    LastErr: NoErr
    LastErrTime: n/a

So far we have not been able to get the unit to work with or without a tuning adapter.

4. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Tuning Adapter Diagnostics -> Status Summary

Is your Status: Ready?

5. robking

robking New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Raleigh,NC
    Yes, it says "Status: Ready"

6. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    In DVR Diagnostics does Channel List Received for the tuning adapter say Yes?

7. robking

robking New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Raleigh,NC
    Yep, says "yes" there, but "no" for the cable cards's channel list received.

8. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    I went through NINE cablecards, two Video techs and hours on the phone with Cox cable and Tivo. I did a three-way call with both and my HD's would not go to "Subscribed" status until we tried all nine.

Now they work but every few days I have to reseat the cards because I get the grey screens on all channels.

9. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Sounds like a software bug on Tivo's end. Tuning adapter channel map is supposed to override card channel map. Seems like the Tivo knows this and makes no attempt to ever pull card map through which is required to view Live TV. My only advice would be multiple consecutive reboots with and without the tuning adapter disconnected to see if anything eventually comes through.

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If this is true, you may want to get your Tivo repaired - the CableCARD slot (and contacts) should be VERY tight and should have NO play.

11. robking

robking New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Raleigh,NC
    Hi all, I wanted to come back and update on this. The unit, with tuning adapter, had been sitting in my floor for almost two weeks, with no change. Yesterday evening I get home and see the two record LEDs are on. Suspecting it was just Tivo programming getting pushed, I decided to check it *one more time* for some reason. Sure enough, all channels are operational.

Here's the interesting part, "Channel list received" is still no for the cable card and yes for the tuning adapter. I went through most all the cable card screens and tivo diagnostics, and the only thing that I *think* may have changed is Tivo SW update being pushed. However I never wrote down the version while all this was going on, so I cant be sure. Curious if anyone else has noticed a new version pushed to their premiere.

12. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    What version do you have currently? My Premiere's all have 14.8c.

13. robking

robking New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Raleigh,NC
    I'll have to look tonight, but I'm 99% sure it's still 14.8c, its the digit towards the end of the version number that I think changed. Like a small incremental update.

14. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    You should have 14.8c-01-3-746 for regular Premiere or 14.8c-01-3-748 for Premiere XL.

15. robking

robking New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Raleigh,NC
    Confirmed, I have 14.8c-01-3-748. Any idea when that came out? I've been trying to determine the uptime of the box, very curious if there was recent reload.

16. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    Both of my TiVo HD's do this. Both number 1 slots are very tight. Do you think that the CC's still might not be set up correctly?

Thanks for the info

17. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The odds that you actually had to go through 9 CableCARDs is pretty slim, but if they are tight they are probably making good contact, so I would look elsewhere for the cause of the problem. Do you also have a tuning adapter?