Channel Distortion - external storage the cause or new TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by nycmiddle, Dec 8, 2011.

1. nycmiddle

nycmiddle New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

First, thank you for reading this thread. I apologize in advance if I make errors in my terminology.

I am a Time Warner Cable Customer (with a tuning adapter) who recently upgraded from a Series 3 to a TiVo Elite.

I am having problems with distortion on certain channels - VH1 by way of example - ultimately there are six of them that I have found so far.

In describing the problem with the channel I have one of two issues (1) a flash of "pixellation" across the screen which can vary from a small amount up to blacking out the entire screen or I receive a message from the TiVo "searching for signal on this cable channel".

Of note, I also have an external storage device - the Western Digital 500 gig drive.

TWC has been out and has replaced the cable card, they have run new cable. Is it possible that the problem is caused by the DVR expander or the new TiVo?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What is the SNR level. Check the cable card diagnostics

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well a 500 GB expander is pretty old at this point and many of them had problems. I would remove it. If you really have an Elite it has 2TB to start so you shouldn't need another 500 GB any time soon.

You should also make sure it has the most recent software update.

If you still have your Series 3 in use you could plug it into the cable that you have the Elite plugged into and see if they Series 3 has any problems with the same channels. If it doesn't I would then call TiVo support.

Good Luck,

4. nycmiddle

nycmiddle New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Thank you for the response. One channel - which is currently having a lot of distortion horizontally is at 27 db.

Another channel which gets the "searching for signal on this cable channel" is at nothing.

I am not sure if 27 db is a good number or not. I am assuming not as HBO is at 32 db and I am not having any issues with that channel.

Can you provide any advice as to how to describe this problem to TWC in an intelligent way so they can fix it?

Again, thank you.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On only some of the channels? About one chance in a million, and probably less than that.

6. nycmiddle

nycmiddle New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Thank you all for your assistance. TWC sent a technician out who improved the signal strength and my channel distortion. Thank you very much for your help!