channel changes while recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chicagocat, Apr 12, 2006.

1. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    I was watching a 2 hour movie I tivoed the other day. With about 20 minutes left in the movie, a recording of the home shopping network replaced the movie I was recording.

Nothing appeared on the screen indicating the channel had changed, but it did.

The same thing happened while I was watching an auto race (my viewing was about 30 minutes behind real time). But with about a third of the race to go, it switched to HSN.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Are you using a cable or satellite box? If nothing appeared on-screen, it could be that the cable box changed channels itself. Do you perhaps have another remote in the room that might have had its buttons "leaned on"?

3. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    I'm using a cable box. But whenever I change channels (either manually or by programming via tivo), a message appears on the screen from both tivo and the cable service telling me the name of the show, channel, etc.

No such thing appeared when this change to HSN occured.

4. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    It's probably a timer on the cable box.

And no more "changing manually" for you. Put the cable box remote away in a deep, dank cellar and never use it again. (except to order PPV) Otherwise, the tivo will get confused.

5. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Just so we're on the same page...

When I say change manually, I mean by using the tivo remote (as opposed to setting tivo to record automatically).

I never use my cable remote.

Are you saying the timer in the cable box is working improperly, overriding the tivo commands or both?

Thanks.

6. Moebius

Moebius Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Not there...
    Just to ask, what network/channel are we talking about? Some cable co's share channels so it will be something during the day, then shopping or something else at night.

7. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Originally I said Home Shopping Network, but it was actually QVC.

Regardless, the tivo switched to that network (which is always on channel 2 on my cable system)

The movie was being recorded on Fox Movie Channel (channel 71). Until the last 20 minutes, when it switched to QVC.

8. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    I dont think Tivo did it. If you change the tivo channel while recording doesnt it stop the recording? I believe it does. So your cable box channel changed without Tivo's knowledge.

9. chicagocat

chicagocat New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Good point.

Any idea what would cause it to that and how to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks.

10. Moebius

Moebius Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Not there...
    It's hard to say if you say the recording showed no indication of channel change (on screen from cable box or anything). There's a chance that it was the cable co screwing up. Maybe someone fell asleep and flipped a bad switch, it's happened in the past. On a somewhat unrelated, but possible note, whenever the cable co here does the EBS test, after the tone and message, the channel I'm watching (whatever one it is) becomes QVC for about 15 seconds.