Channel Buffer and Tuner Use Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by leepoffaith, Feb 14, 2015.

1. leepoffaith

leepoffaith Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Tampa, FL

Advertisements

Could someone explain to me how the channel buffer and tuner selection work on Tivo Roamio? For some reason I'm just realizing this issue now, but say for instance I'm watching Channel A and a commercial comes on. I go to the guide and tune to channel B. After 10 minutes channel B has a commercial and I change back to channel A. I want to rewind channel A because I've missed part of the show, but there is no channel buffer!! I have 6 tuners, shouldn't they all be buffering for at least 30 minutes on the most recently watched channels? I've tried searching about this, but all I find is "hit the record button." Well, sometimes I don't realize I want to return to that channel if I'm just channel surfing. Not only that, but why should I have to hit record? Why don't the most recent tuned channels stay buffering for 30 minutes?

Along these same lines, how/why does Roamio choose to keep certain channels on each tuner? I would think it would keep the most recently watched 6 channels on the tuners and buffer each for 30 minutes. I'm hoping there may be an easy fix to this because it's becoming very frustrating. Is there a secret menu or programming that I can do to change this?

2. randrake

randrake New Member

Jan 19, 2015
    It sounds like you're just changing the channel on one tuner. What you would want to do is use different tuners for each channel and switch between tuners to have buffers on channels A and B.

So on tuner 1, put it on channel A. Tuner 2 to channel B. Then switch between tuners by either pressing the Live TV button which cycles through each tuner or use the right arrow then down arrow to see the tuner list then select from there.

3. leepoffaith

leepoffaith Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    That's EXACTLY what I want to do. Could you tell me why it's only using one tuner and how do I get it to use multiple tuners instead?

4. randrake

randrake New Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Reread the last post I put. I edited it but I think you posted your follow up at the same time. But I think my edit which is the next line from what you quoted will help. :)

5. randrake

randrake New Member

Jan 19, 2015

Advertisements

Oh and the arrow method can only be done when there is nothing TiVo on the screen. Like no buffer status bar, show information, etc. Just the actual show or movie. If anything TiVo is on the screen at the moment, the arrow method from the remote won't work until it falls off the screen.

6. leepoffaith

leepoffaith Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Ok, this may sound dumb, but how do I control tuner 2? I just switch channels through the guide normally. I'm not aware I could control the tuners separately.

7. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    You cycle through the tuners with the Live TV button, and when you get to one tuned to a program you're not watching (so you don't mind clearing the buffer), then you use the Guide button (or channel up/down) to select a different channel for that tuner. When you pause something, you cycle back to the other show you're watching by using the Live TV button.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Just hit record, and avoid the buffer game. Much easier that way, you KNOW it is there, and in fact can go watch something from your NPL and then not have to flip content.

Feel free to play with the buffers, lots of folks do, this is just an alternative that lets you watch what you want without interruption or risk of a bad button push messing with your experience.

9. leepoffaith

leepoffaith Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you!! I never knew what the live tv button did. On my old Fios boxes it would fast forward a tv show to live, but that was it. I wonder why Tivo doesn't automatically just switch tuners when you change channels. To me that seems like the logical thing to do. Either way, this is great

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think once you understand the dynamic tuner allocation you will grow to like it. There is a thread of that on the Mini forum. The arrow right then down is a good tool. Also, the DVR diagnostics can show you what each tuner is doing but it's a bit more than you need. If you do look at that diag, the cable card is shown at the end. Try different ways to select a channel: direct input, guide and up/down. You will learn the tricks and the restrictions. It's fun for a cold winter night. :)

11. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    If you can't wait for the screen to clear (like me), you can immediately press "Info" which will bring up the multi-function screen (including tuner select option) even if there is still something Tivo on the screen.

12. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    He does make a good point though. It would certainly be better if while you happened to be watching live tv if you changed channels using the guide, digits or or channel up that it automatically switched to another tuner that wasn't recording anything or being used by a mini, so you could preserve the buffer and start a new one on the new channel. If there are no available tuners at that point, so be it then you lose the buffer. Still better than the way it is now and the workarounds suggested.

13. randrake

randrake New Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Actually I should test it but since the new update, my Mini does that. If I turn it to Live TV then change the channel to something another tuner the Roamio has on, it switches to that tuner. So as long as I know what channels are being used by the Roamio's tuners I can bounce between them on the Mini. I posted in the release notes thread about it. I rather switch tuners than to waste space doing the record method especially when just looking at TV through the Roamio.

14. randrake

randrake New Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Right there is that too. I vaguely remembered how to do that since I don't do that often or barely at all so I didn't mention it. lol But yes that works.

15. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Once you have the two tuners setup correctly, you can just hit the Enter/Last button and toggle between the two tuners. You have to first manually select the two tuners using methods explained above.

16. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    I wish Tivo would let us change the buffer limit.

17. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    :up: +1 With how easy it is to upgrade the hard drive, I would love a 1 hour buffer.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If we're going to drift, how about variable size, variable skip and variable queing? Like Sony DHG? It doesn't have a disable either.

19. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Suppose you want to do this with 3 channels? How would the TiVo know which background tuner was available for the new channel? Then you have the issue of Minis...if someone on a Mini chooses one of the channels you are buffering the TiVo will give that tuner to the Mini, making it unavailable for viewing at the DVR.

The Mini issue is why using record is the better option.

20. leepoffaith

leepoffaith Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    It seems to me that it's a pretty easy fix.

No Mini's In Use: Sequentially use all 6 tuners and once all six are used you start loosing the buffer on the tuner that hasn't been use the longest.

Mini's In Use: The buffer of the tuner that hasn't been used the longest is dropped and that tuner is used for the mini. Then if more minis are used the tuners are taken in the same order.

If FiOS can accomplish this I'm SURE Tivo can figure it out. It's not a deal breaker to me, but just a feature I'd like. If nothing else, the absolute minimum Tivo could do is switch between 2 tuners when switching channels.