Channel breaks up occasionally

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Boris S, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Boris S

Boris S New Member

Oct 16, 2017

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Bolt and two minis and use Ziply tv. Occasionally the video and sound will break up especially on a station like AMC. Is that caused by Tivo or Ziply? It happens when watching live and recorded programs. It never seems to happen with any more mainstream channels.

2. davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Check the diagnostics (TE3: Help -> Account & System Info -> Diagnostics) when tuned to that channel, and see what the signal strength is, and if there are any errors (look under "RS Uncorrected"—if it's anything greater than 0, that's not good.)

I have the same problem with AMC and a few other channels off-and-on (including Disney Channel, Hallmark Channel, and Food Network). All have low frequencies and signal strength under 90%. You may be able to correct things by futzing with the coax cable connections and/or replacing the cables. (Or not—there may be some other signal interference...)

3. Boris S

Boris S New Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Thanks, this was very helpful. I checked many channels and they all had at least 90 in signal strength. AMC had 90% and RS Uncorrected at 0 but then RS Uncorrected changed to a 6 or 7 digit number. I watched the channel live and it did have video/audio breakup occasionally. The coax cable does go through a splitter before getting to the main TiVo box. Is there a really good splitter that might help?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    On a basic Roamio and four tuner Bolt, the RS Corrected number is always zero. It's a bug that's been there for many years.

5. oldirtr

oldirtr Member

Apr 25, 2020

Advertisements

look up passive splitters may help you there..

6. Boris S

Boris S New Member

Oct 16, 2017
    I replaced the splitter with a passive splitter and my signal improved to 92%. There is still minimal breaking up occasionally but much better. Thanks for your help.