Channel 95? What HD Channel is it?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SuperWade2, Aug 27, 2006.

1. SuperWade2

SuperWade2 New Member

Apr 11, 2003

Advertisements

Ok, i've had the HD Package for a while and been a "lurker" here on TCF for a while now. (mostly reading the HR10-250 6.3 Upgrade Thread... ugggg!?!)..

Anyhow... can anyone tell me (or point me towards a thread) that explains exatly what Channel 95 is supposed to be. I've seen people talk about the NFL Network HD games and I've also seen a Fox Sports Bay Area HD SF Giants game, but it doesn't see consistnat... right now the titlle says "REDS vs. GIANTS" and the Game is on FSBA on Ch 654, but I'm getting nothing on Ch 95. I've also never seen a NFL Network HD game on ch 95, even when the Ch 212 listed "HD" in the Program Guide...

Can anyone explain this mysterious High Def Channel 95 to me?

Thanks
    SW2

2. mikeny

mikeny New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    At this point in the year, it seems to be mainly the National or Conus/mpeg-2 HD MLB Extra Innings offering.

3. tbb1226

tbb1226 TiVo Junkie

Sep 16, 2004
    Royal Oak, MI
    Channel 95 is the HD "special events" channel. They have carried OLN HD hockey, NBA TV HD, and yes, a few NFL Network preseason HD games (during the first week of pre-season), as well as the CD-USA and other channel 101 music events in HD.

As mikeny said, the channel is being used right now for quite a few HD RSN baseball games - at least one per day lately. Access to these games is provided only to subscribers in the home region of the RSN producing the game, and to MLB Extra Innings subscribers everywhere else (except in the opponents' home region).

Since you won't let us know where you are, the reason you're blocked from viewing a FSN-BA game now, if you weren't before, is not apparent.

4. bpdp379

bpdp379 A trp, 1/17 CAV

Feb 25, 2004
    Livermore, CA
    If you had an H20 you would also get 96. It shows the FSNBA HD games for the giants and A's.

5. Aaron3001

Aaron3001 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Simi Valley, CA

Advertisements

As a Dodger fan it pisses me off i can't watch the HD game if they offer it cause it's on my local cable channel so it's blacked out.. :(

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Welcome to the strange world of blackouts. IMO, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reason in how it works.

7. Sparky

Sparky New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    San Mateo,...
    I was on the phone to D* about this game and its useless. I was broadcast of FSN Bay Area on 654 SD and I could not get it in HD on 95, all they had to do is turn it on. As long as the game is not broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2 or over the air you should be getting it according to the press release dated 7/10/06.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with 2 different supervisors and they said there is no reason you should not be receiving the games on channel 95 or 96, yet 2 different CSRs would not turn it on. I decided to listen to the game on the radio.

I am at the end of my rope with D* and am looking into see what cable has to offer. All D* does is string you along dangling a carrot to retain you. Lets see what the Telcos have to offer.

8. mikeny

mikeny New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Was the game broadcast on Channel 96 or 97? If so, it's mpeg-4 and you would need the AT9 dish and either an H20 or HR20 to see it.

9. old7

old7 That's all I know! TCF Club

Aug 7, 2002
    Medford, Oregon
    The pirates game had a rain delay causing it to run long. The giants/reds game was joined in progress on channel 95 almost an hour late.

10. samberger

samberger New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    oakland, ca
    if you have mpeg4 d*tv in the bay area, you also need to not trust the program directory. last nights red sox/a's game was not listed as being on. luckily, i checked anyway and there it was in glorious hd.

and yes, last week's giants/reds games was on 95. in fact, one night the same game was on both 95 and 96.

11. Sparky

Sparky New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    San Mateo,...
    Now why couldn't the CSR say there was a Pirates game on that channel, perhaps because I did not ask :rolleyes:

12. Sparky

Sparky New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    San Mateo,...
    No mpeg4 here until the DVR comes out. I have the HR10 so I will only be able to view on 95. I'm curious as to why then these CSR's ask me to try 96 when my account would show a HR10.

13. old7

old7 That's all I know! TCF Club

Aug 7, 2002
    Medford, Oregon
    I'm fairly certain that CSR don't have televisions in front of them and if the schedule showed that the Giants/Reds game was on, they have no reason to believe that it wouldn't be on.