1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel 3 not working

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by HarleyRandom, Jul 23, 2018.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    On July 14 I saw a crawl saying the CBS affiliate, at Channel 3 in my area, would be dropped by Spectrum. On July 19, the 6:00 news on Channel 3 didn't record. I hadn't seen a crawl lately so I assumed the dispute had been settled. I did notice one show was recording on my Series 2. I couldn't remember whether the Season Pass was for Channel 3 or Channel 22 (I am lucky to have two CBS affiliates on my cable system, but who knows how long that will last?) I was relieved to discover the program was actually recorded from Channel 3, so there was no removal of the channel due to a dispute. And yet when I checked the Roamio, Channel 3 gave me a V53 error. I couldn't ask this question because my modem quit working, so the problem has already been solved.

It was so late when I confirmed the problem that I didn't call then. When I had a chance to, someone at Spectrum said it must be a tuning adapter problem, so I should unplug my tuning adapter and plug it back in. I did that, and the channel came back. What could have been happening?

2. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Tuning adapters sometimes stop working and have to be rebooted. (particularly the Cisco one)

3. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    All the other channels worked, though.

4. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    They must not be Switched Digital Video. The tuning adapter is there to request SDV channels from the headend. If the tuning adapter isn't working then you can't tune SDV channels, but any other channels will work (as they will be in the channel map provided by the CableCard).

5. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I think they all are.

6. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Lots of people (including myself) have a problem where the TA locks up every so often, at which point no channels are available; the only way to resolve it is to power-cycle the TA. Less frequently I've also seen the TA fail as you describe, such that only SDV channels are affected.

7. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I've had the message "no tuning adapter" appear on the screen and unplugging worked, but all the channels worked anyway. I have a VERY basic package.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Well, if truly all the channels you watch are not SDV then you should just unplug the TA power and usb cable. The TA must use a fair amount of electricity since it is very hot.

9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    What happens to me is first no channels work and the TA starts blinking red every so often, without any message except complaints about unable to tune. I unplug the TA power, then I get the no Tuning Adapter message. I clear that (or not) and about two minutes later I get a message about the Tuning Adapter being connected and a suggestion to rerun Guided Setup (a really bad suggestion, IMO.) I can clear the message, but if I don't it will eventually go away by itself something like 20 minutes later.

My local Spectrum used to have just oddball, seldom viewed channels on SDV, but now all premium channels are SDV and a fair number of other stuff. Hence my use of a timer to keep the TAs humming along.

10. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I didn't try all the channels but this morning I turned on the TV and the channel was not available. I tested Channels 2 and 3 and got the same result. On my Series 2 everything was working. I haven't actually tested the channels since I unplugged by tuning adapter and plugged it back in because I didn't want to go through turning on iHeartRadio again, but what looks like an HDMI cable had come loose from what plugs in before I plugged it in. I don't know whether it was loose before but maybe that explains it. I've never seen anything like that.

11. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    And only Channel 3 was fixed. Channel 2 was not. Channels 6, 8 and 9 were also out. I called Spectrum and there was one thing I was told to do that I didn't do, but a technician is coming and I'll update what happens. I'm sure the technician can do the other thing I was told to do, but the person I talked to said the tuning adapter was three years old and needed replacing. Doesn't seem very old.

12. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    The man from Spectrum didn't show up and the more time I had to think about what could go wrong, the more I thought about what else I could do. I had to update my phone number since I had misunderstood the time of my appointment and wasn't going to be home to be called in advance. But I wasn't called except by a recorded voice which told me to press 1 or the appointment would be cancelled. Which it was because there weren't enough technicians and they were overbooked.

I had also tried to play a recording and seen that it cut off in the middle and I thought this might be useful. The person from Spectrum who I talked to about my phone number said there were several possible causes, which concerned me.

When the man didn't show up, I tried something I had been told to do here. I couldn't do it when I was told to by someone from Spectrum, although I'm not certain this person told me to do it. I think that's what I was supposed to try. But I couldn't then. I knew I'd have to try harder if I wanted to switch the Roamio to an antenna. So I did it. I disconnected the wire coming from Spectrum from the tuning adapter and plugged it directly into my Roamio. Same error message on channels I didn't get. But a blank screen for channels I was getting. I called again and was asked if I had a Cable Card. I was transferred to a person who knew about Cable Cards. He said to unplug the USB cable, and when I did, the channels came back. I wish I had paid more attention. What he said could be helpful to people reading this. It was something like the channels in the TiVo didn't match the channels in the tuning adapter. Because I have broadcast channels and only a few others, I don't actually need the tuning adapter, which I knew since the recordings happened even when I was constantly getting messages saying I had no tuning adapter.

13. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    And that's what I was told.