Changing Tivo Name

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Resist, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have 3 active Tivo boxes in my house and changed their names, yet when check the Now Playing List on the boxes some of the names have not changed. It's been over 24 hours, I have rebooted all the boxes and connected to the Tivo server. The names aren't changing and they aren't the different on each box. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Be patient and wait another day or so.

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    You need to wait until the new names show up on the System Information page. After that, restart them one at a time to get the new names communicated to the network interface of the box. Been there, done that.

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    All the System Information info was correct and boxes had been restarted, nothing changed. I checked everything one more time, connected to the Tivo server and restarted all the boxes. Finally it worked!

5. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Were the boxes previously restarted after verifying that System Info had the correct names? This "feature" drove me nuts for awhile until I realized that my Tivo Desktop and Tivo2Go also had the wrong names. That's when I suspected that the Tivo servers updated the System Info with the new names but that the new name was not made available to the local network interface software unless the box was restarted.

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes they were, several times.