Changing MoCA From XL4 to Actiontec Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Jay2tak, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I am changing to a Actiontec MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter from an XL4 created MoCA network. Do I have to do anything to my other Tivo's (a Romio pro and mini) or can I just plug the new Actiontec in to the cable network? I have removed the XL4 because of drive? problems and it make take a few weeks to diagnose.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, assuming you didn't *need* any custom settings (privacy, channel) in creating the MoCA network on the XL4.

p.s, I would think both Roamio & Mini would find the new bridge without prodding, but restarts could be necessary.

3. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks that what though.

4. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    This is very timely as I am thinking about doing something similar.

You still need one TiVo to "create the MoCA network", correct? Is that already being done on your Roamio (not on the Premiere you are removing)?

It occurs to me (after posting this) that perhaps the Actiontec MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter is creating the network? In my case I just have the ECB2500C which (I believe) does not create the network.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Re-read the OP; they're looking to re-establish their MoCA network, which had previously been created by their Premiere XL4 prior to its health issues.
    The OP will be using their new MoCA adapter to create their MoCA network, by simply connecting the adapter to both their coax lines and router's Ethernet LAN.

6. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Problem is I set this up 2 years ago and have forgotten the finer points. I *thought* that when using the ECB2500C (which I am), one of the TiVos was required to be configured to "create the network". But perhaps not, and both TiVos (if connected to an ECB2500C and not using the internal MoCA bridge) would be just configured for "ethernet"?

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Your ECB2500C *could* create your MoCA network, just like the OP's MoCA 2.0 adapter, if needed and if properly connected to both your coax lines and your Ethernet LAN. You just wouldn't want the ECB2500C *and* a TiVo DVR both connected and configured to create a MoCA network, as that would bring your network to a screaming halt.

Very basically... you need a single MoCA bridging-capable device connected to both your coax plant and Ethernet LAN. This device establishes your MoCA network, and other MoCA capable devices would be connected via coax only and configured as MoCA clients, as necessary. (i.e. typical standalone MoCA adapters don't require any configuration for default setups, beyond being connected; TiVo devices require both being properly connected and then configured via the Network Settings screen.)

The OP's setup could be different from yours: DVRs that support MoCA vs not, location of Ethernet and coax connections, etc. To offer any suggestions, you'd need to let us know what DVR models you're working with (base Roamio vs Pro/Plus, 2- vs 4-tuner Premiere), whether your cable modem/router are co-located with any of your DVRs, or if you have Ethernet access at any of your DVR locations. (I'm assuming all your devices are connected to a common coax plant where you'd had MoCA working for some time.)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Thanks. I'll check things out more closely this weekend.

9. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Ok, the Actiontec MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter arrived today from Amazon, installed it, and both the RP & the mini connected to the network. Didn't even have to do a reboot!

krkaufman likes this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Great to hear! Thanks for closing the loop.

(And for the casual viewer, Jay2tak didn't have to do anything for the Roamio Pro and Mini to connect to the new bridging MoCA adapter because these devices were *still* configured for a MoCA connection, from when the now-offline Premiere XL4 had been establishing their MoCA network -- a MoCA network not using custom settings or privacy.)