Changing from Composite to Component without a scrape?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by domitype, Sep 15, 2011.

1. domitype

domitype New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I have been helping a friend install a PremierXL to an older TV. The TV does not have HMDI - it is not HD and only has a few inputs. When we did the initial setup we went with Composite (Red/White/Yellow) and ran Get Started. The setup went about as usual, and it does work.
    Now we want to change to Component (Red/Green/Blue + Red/White) but I could not get the setup to "see" the new connection. Is this because the TV is not HD, or something else? The TV does have one Component input (it is a 1980s vintage JVC)

Do we have to do a full system scrape and start over, or is there some deep layer menu in the Settings (as I recall older Tivos had.) If we try this, will it not work on this older TV?

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Check the Video Output Formats setting to make sure you aren't sending the old set more resolution than it can handle. That settings screen also says, "Tip: Press UP while watching video to switch output formats." Try that first. I don't see why you should have to reinstall anything.

3. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Go back to the Composite connection, and then go into Resolutions. To do that, Hit Tivo, then go to Settings and Messages, Settings, Video, and select Video Output Formats. Make sure 480i (NOT 480p) ONLY is selected. Then try the Component cable.

4. domitype

domitype New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks - we will try that soon - let you know if it works.

5. domitype

domitype New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    No luck - no output on component video (but now after going back to composite, the box is going through "service update" and might take an hour or more - with no option to not do this.)

Nowhere near as easy as my other TiVo set-ups, and I was a very early user!

6. domitype

domitype New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Called support - they didn't know why it would not automatically detect the setting, so we are trying the full reset and starting over. Hope it was not a problem with the wires or TV!

7. domitype

domitype New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Midway through the system rebuild the component video started working! Now to see how long the rest of the rebuild takes...

8. domitype

domitype New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Restart after system scrape went OK at first - until it came time to check the channels. The Comcast M-Card was not recognized and it could not be re-paired from the Comcast center. Either it was a bad card to start with (it was taking 24 hours to load just 3 cable channels to of 70) or it did not survive the rebuild, or both. Or neither. At least we have the proper video connection now.

A tech is scheduled for tomorrow... I will post the results.