Changing Channels without IR Blasters

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by alsstuff, Jun 27, 2011.

1. alsstuff

alsstuff New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Is there a way to connect my (Fios) cable box directly to my series 2 tivo, via hard wire, rather then the IR balsters. The Fios tech told me that he saw it at another customer. He also said when channels were changed there was no delay, as with the IR blasters.

Thanks
    Allan

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that would be a serial connection. search Tivo.com or the manual for all the details. A serial connection cable would have been included originally with the series 2.

the big question is does the FIOS set top box support the serial connection> I do not use FIOS so have no other knowledge of this

3. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    There may still be a delay since the TiVo will be buffering the video input ever so slightly.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    There will definitely be a delay and any difference in the duration of the delay would be too minuscule to even notice.

5. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I will add I used to use the Serial Control for my FiOS boxes but about 1-1/2 years ago a change was made by FiOS that broke it.

I would get channel changes that would be 1 off, up or down, and have since gone back to IR blasters.

6. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I just gotta put it out there. Get an HD or Premiere and get rid of the S2...OR....live with the IR blaster. The S2's analog tuner's days are numbered and prolonged investment into the S2 is futile.

EDIT...I have to say, that even with a serial connection, there is a delay. I question (AS YOU ALWAYS MUST!!!!) what the tech said he saw.