Changed to Frontier fios, need help setting up Minis again...

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by siratfus, Feb 6, 2018.

1. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008

Advertisements

So we jumped from Spectrum back to Frontier Fios. All my lines and splitters were basically untouched. All we did essentially was remove the Spectrum "IN" line, and plugged in the FIOS. Everything is up and running, wifi, etc. But of course as always, it's the Tivos and the Minis that always need special attention.

I'm guessing the main thing that's causing all the issues is the ip is no longer 192.168.1.1, and it is now 192.168.254.254. Tivo didn't sort itself out when it detected the caoxial. It said Moca is on and "I didn't have to change the IP addresses." But nothing was working becuase the DHCP generated was still using 192.168.1.... So I manually went in and
    1. Statically changed it to 192.168.254.101 or something.
    2. Submask remained at 255.255.255.0.
    3. Router or Gateway IP: I put 192.168.254.254.
    4. DNS servers.. this I'm not sure if I did right. I found two addresses in my router admin under the WAN Summary. DNS server 1, DNS server 2. These addresses look nothing like the IP address. I put them in anyways.
    So Tivo is up and running! But using the same process, I can't get any of the Minis to work. And they are plugged in via moca or ethernet, these minis are not sorting themselves out either, they would detect the moca or the ethernet, but their DHCP is still using 192.168.1." " ip addresses. So I'm statically changing them as well. I make sure the last digits are different than the TIVO I set above. Everything else from 2-4 remains the same. But it keeps saying it can't find the router. It's supposed to find the main tivo, right?

So can someone chime in? Maybe my settings for the main tivo above "accidentally" works but it's the wrong way and it's causing issues with the minis or something? Or, maybe I need to input different numbers for items 2-4 for the minis?

Please advise, pulling my hair. This is an annual tradition.

2. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Nevermind guys, I'm in more trouble than I thought. The Main Tivo's moca actually isn't working. I realize it was the wifi that was doing the work. I turned it off just to test and I asked for it to connect to service and it couldn't do it. It said ROUTER NOT FOUND.

I have a cable line that goes to a moca adapter which then connects to an ethernet hub next to my pc in the garage and I'm getting internet just fine. So I know moca is working.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Any time I've switched MoCA around, I've had to set it up 1st at the router and then start bringing things up (from powered off) starting with the highest priority.

TiVo first, then the Minis'. I guess they need to re-detect the MoCA nodes.

-KP

4. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Thanks KP. I reset the gateway from the admin and allowed them to do DHCP again. This time they all magically work now. My concern is that many a moons ago when fios was with Verizon, the tivo minis would get some sort of error or dropped connection. That's when I started doing Static IPs as advised around here. I'm going to leave it as is now since it's working and hope that the minis don't lose connection like before.

But if it does, and I have to go back to doing static again, was the way I did it correct as laid out in numbers 1 to 4 above?

5. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

That looks like it should work, but a better way would probably be to 'reserve' IP's in the router GUI. That way they'll all get valid IP's , but be at the same IP every time.

-KP

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  6. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Well, it started the "LOST CONNECTION" again. So I went back and gave it static IPs. But I wouldn't have gotten it right this time if not for the fact that I had to re-connect my printers to the new network. In doing the printers, I learned about looking at DHCP ranges in my router admin. So this time, when I configured the Tivos, I made sure to not use any numbers in the dchp range. Probably obvious for all you true techies out there, but not for me. LOL! That was most likely the source of my headaches yesterday, I was giving them a static ip # inside the dhcp start-end range.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  7. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Live and Learn!

-KP