Changed MAC ID on TiVo Wireless G adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by skimerlin, Aug 2, 2007.

1. skimerlin

skimerlin New Member

Sep 25, 2006

Advertisements

I have a Series 2 TiVo that has functioned flawlessly connecting wirelessly when needed.

Today, I had a message saying I only had a couple days of programming info left. I tried to force a connection with no luck. I rebooted the TiVo, router, modem, etc. to no avail.

Then I got to looking at the settings. The MAC ID for the TiVo G adapter was always 00:11:d9:00:9a:d1, which I have used for access through the firewalls, etc. I have always had full access for TiVo To Go, seeing pix from computer etc.

Now, the TiVo prompts me to be sure that the MAC ID 00:11:22:33:44:55 is entered!?! I didn't think a MAC ID should ever change for a piece of hardware. Anyhow, I tried changing to that ID with no luck.

I have not made any changes to my setup nor have we had any power outages that I am aware of that might of screwed things up. Is the wireless adapter fried? Or is there anything else I should try?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

--
    SkiMerlin

(off to find a long phone cord)

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    It sounds like the adapter may have failed. Try pulling it, doing a cold boot to the TiVo by pulling the cord for a minute and then re-inserting it after the TiVo is completed finished starting up and is back at the TiVo Central screen.

Values of 1 2 3 4 and 5 sound like a digital cry for help to me.

CuriousMark

3. psyton

psyton New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Did you unplug the adapter from the box? When you plug it back in, is the power led on the adapter on? Is the link indicator led off or on, if on does it blink slowly or flicker? Did you try the other usb port? Did you reseat the cable on the adapter?
    For this adapter it doesn't - the box grabs the mac addr from the adapter after the firmware is loaded.

4. skimerlin

skimerlin New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    I have reseated the cable on the adapter and have tried both USB ports.

The power light comes on for the adapter and the other light flashes slowly.

--

SkiMerlin

5. psyton

psyton New Member

Dec 27, 2002

Advertisements

Slow blink indicates it is attempting to sync to the AP. Reset all parameters, ssid, encryption, etc. to be sure the box hasn't kept some bad value somewhere. Do a scan and see if your AP pops up in the list.

Assume for the moment the hardware is functional, and that the host has munged up the settings. Remembering that the mac layer for this adapter is in the chip, a bad mac addr from the host would not prevent it from initially syncing to the AP (solid link indicator led) providing all other parameters were correct. However, once the first data TX from the host occurs, the AP would then attempt to deauth the adapter since the mac addr on the packets do not match the addr the adapter associated with. Of course, with the adapter performing address filtering, it would reject these packets as not belonging to it, causing the AP to deauth flood the adapter. The end result is no data transfer and a degredated wireless network.

Depending on your AP, and the availability of information and statistics from it, you could narrow down if the adapter is attempting to connect. Depending on how much troubleshooting you can/want to go through, you should back off encryption and just try to connect to the open AP - the only thing that would prevent a sync (solid link indicator led) then would be the ssid; a failure there indicates either a bad ssid or broken/misconfigured hardware (adapter, ap, etc.). Once sync has been achieved, then data transfer (flicker link indicator led) is the last step to resolve.