Change TiVo to front plug inputs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gmknobl, Dec 28, 2011.

1. gmknobl

gmknobl New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    I have a Humax Series 2 TiVo with the DVD player in it. The DVD player has stopped working (for about 3/4th of a year). Instead of spending to get this fixed as I will eventually, I'm trying to use the other inputs to the TiVo and connecting them to a DVD player.

What I want to do is tell the TiVo to switch to these inputs when I want. Right now I have the DVD player connected to the front s-video and r/l audio inputs. I CAN do this but ONLY IF I tell the TiVo I am doing a timed recording from a VCR. I don't really want to do this. I'd rather just tell it to get it's input from the front. I can also hook this up to the rear too as those inputs are available.

The cable signal we use is from a DirecTV receiver. I do realize that there is probably no way to switch to the other alternate inputs, whether front or rear, without stopping any planned recordings from DirecTV. It would be great if we could but mostly, we just don't want to record the movies onto the TiVo.

There is not input button that came on the TiVo remote. There is a TV input but that's different. I figured there may be a Select Play Select code that could do it.

Any help appreciated.

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Why not connect the DVD player to a different TV input instead of trying to run it through the DVR.

Also search threads in the DVD TiVo forum area. Look for a discussion of replacement DVD drives. You might be able to repair your Humax.

3. gmknobl

gmknobl New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    If we had more than one input on the tv. But we don't. Just a single 75 ohm cable.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could connect the DVD player to an RF modulator. Then run coax cable from the RF modulator to the RF input of the Tivo. Then rerun guided setup to tell the Tivo that you have both cable and satellite service even though you only have satellite. Leave a DVD playing in the DVD player while you run guided setup. The RF modulator can be set to output on analog channel 3 or channel 4 and your cable guide should have one of those channels. Then you should be able to watch a DVD by changing the Tivo to Channel 3 or 4. Many DVDs are encoded with Macrovision, so you might need a video stabilizer connected between the Tivo and the RF modulator to defeat macrovision.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're TV is old enough that you don't have any line inputs on it then it's old, but apparently a pretty good set if it's still working.

You might want to get an RF modulator and search Craigslist for a good used AV receiver that'll let you use it as a remotely operated input switch and volume control and feed its output into the modulators line inputs.

6. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Definitely time for a new TV.;)

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Try setting the TiVo to channel 0. That worked on some TiVo 2's at one time.