Change time of daily downloads?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by davemcs, Sep 13, 2007.

1. davemcs

davemcs New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    A co-worker is wondering if the time of the daily content downloads can be changed? They are always downloading while she is getting ready for work (6-630AM)..I know the d/l's can be interrupted..but is there any way to reschedule them all together?

Or conversely...if she forces a connection before she goes to bed..will that preempt the morning d/l ?

Thanks
    David (for Tina)

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I take it she's using the phone line and not a network connection? Otherwise why would you need to interrupt it?

The scheduled time "floats" but is usually once within a 24-hour period. So yes, forcing a call at night should prevent it from calling again in the morning.

3. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    If she forces a connection, then that should avoid a morning d/l. She can also disconnect the phone line from the back.

But there's no easy answer. To avoid daytime long distance charges, I built a phone-line timer out of a Radio Shack lamp timer a while back. Works for me.

4. Roswell

Roswell Member

Apr 7, 2004
    I have the same issue, and I am on a wireless network. It is just annoying to not be able to watch the morning news while the service is downloading. If you try and change the channel the warning appears that the download will stop. I understand that we do have the ability to force a download at any time, but you have the same issue of not being able to watch regular tv while the download is happening. i would love to have it occur in the middle of the night when I'm not watching tv.

5. davemcs

davemcs New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    I just checked with her and she is also on a wireless connection....and tired of getting the warning before catching a quick bit of news before work

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Ok, I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

The daily download is when your TiVo connects to the TiVo servers (either over the phone or your network) to download the guide data, software updates, etc. This happens in the background and doesn't interfere/interrupt with TV viewing.

Since you're mentioning changing the channel and getting a warning, it sounds like the TiVo is either recording a Suggestion or the Teleworld broadcasts (the videos that turn into Gold Star promos on TiVo Central). Usually these broadcasts are late at night. If you don't want your TiVo to record them, the easiest thing to do is set up a manual recording at the same time.

So, in your friend's case, if she always wants to watch the news in the morning, set up a manual recording (or a Season Pass) for the morning news. That way the TiVo will be on that channel recording when she gets up, and it will override any Teleworld recordings.

edit: it occured to me you might be talking about a DirecTiVo here, which I have no experience with. My comments are regarding the standalone TiVos.

7. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Right, you're talking about Teleworld, not the daily update.

Your friend should set a Season Pass (or manual repeating recording) for her news program. When you're using tivo, you should record everything you watch, even if you watch it live. This is one reason.

8. davemcs

davemcs New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Its a Series 2 "normal" Tivo...

I'll relay the idea about recording her news program thereby precluding the Teleworld downloads at that time...

I guess that explains why my Tivo is often on Channel 39 when I come down in the morning..despite having left it on another station the previous night!

Thanks all!

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you mean the Teleworld broadcast that comes from a TV channel, you cannot re-schedule that, but you can record the program you want to be watching at the time.

The normal download from your network connection will be transparent to TiVo use.

10. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    "Teleworld" is always recording every Wednesday morning(6:00AM) on channel 61(I ON) here in Philly.

11. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    No you can't reschedule it but you sure can cancel it. Find Teleworld in the search menu, view upcoming epsodes and cancel each of them (the default option when you select each will be 'Record as planned'). You will have to do it once a week or so but that will stop the recording from happening and the channels from switching.