Change priority of My Shows list?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by iconoclast, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Aug 5, 2016 #1 of 10
    iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014

Advertisements

I am up to 88% of space used. I am not watching my saved content fast enough ;)

I would like to designate some unwatched shows as the 1st to be deleted if TiVo needs the space for new recordings. It seems the oldest content is going to be 1st to be deleted for space. (I already see about 10 Yellow circles instead of Blue!)

I want to change the priority of my long list in My Shows. I know I can go through & change many to ‘keep until I erase’ but, that is a very time consuming task. I’d need to change 80 recordings. I wish to approach it the other way & designate ~ 20 recordings as low priority.

Is this possible? I do not want TiVo to just delete the oldest in My Shows list.

Thanks!

2. Aug 5, 2016 #2 of 10
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Not possible, but you could just delete the ~20 recordings.

3. Aug 5, 2016 #3 of 10
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You could delete those twenty shows; until the space is needed, you will be able to recover and watch them. Of course, this won't work if you have Suggestions turned on, because deleted shows are erased to provide space to record a suggestion. (As Cherry Ghost wrote whilst I was typing.)

4. Aug 5, 2016 #4 of 10
    iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Thanks for verifying that TiVo does not have the option to prioritize the saved recordings.

Too bad. I was hoping there was a way to rank them as we do for the OnePass list. It would be a nice feature to have. I think we all have recorded some things that are not a high priority & we will watch them when & if we ever have time.

5. Aug 5, 2016 #5 of 10
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston

Advertisements

Yeah, what they said....

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk.

6. Aug 5, 2016 #6 of 10
    chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Reboot your TiVo, the yellow circles will update. Also, try recording news programs from the SD channel rather than HD. Do you use skip mode? and the 30% faster mode?

Long term, you might want to install a larger hard drive. Easy for up to 3 TB on the Roamio, a little bit of work for more than 3 TB drives.

7. Aug 5, 2016 #7 of 10
    PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Nothing will be deleted until space is needed. With 22% still available it depends on how fast you fill it up. It's also notable that nothing will be deleted for suggestions. The first thing I do is turn suggestions OFF!

8. Aug 6, 2016 #8 of 10
    iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Good idea, I will probably do this. I had forgotten you can recover deleted shows. At least for a while... 30 days?

If I'm running out of space, rebooting TiVo will not change that. I don't watch SD programming. This is a temporary problem. I hope. I have Roamio Pro which I think has a 3TB HD. In future I may look into replacing with a larger one. I've read mixed reviews on this. Some claim to get 8Tb with a 4TB internal + a 4 TB External (XHD)

I turned off suggestions day 1 <GRIN>

I just tried & failed to add an XHD. 500 GB WD My Book DVR Expander which had a "TiVo Verified" sticker on the back. I figure it would add ~ 70 hours HD capacity to my existing ~ 450 hrs. I read that TiVo approves this brand in either 500 GB or 1 TB size. I actually had it laying around unused since I had successfully used it for years with my rented Cox DVR until Cox updated the software & it no longer would recognize an XHD! That issue led me to TiVo.

I am concerned re space since I wanted to record many hours of the Olympics. I will FF through much of it & only watch & then delete certain sports.

I may post on a new thread re the failure to add the new XHD.

9. Aug 6, 2016 #9 of 10
    iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    I solved the problem & was able to add my 500 GB XHD!

Now my 88% full dropped to 75% full.

If I later remove XHD, I will lose all recordings made since it was connected but not my previous recordings made with just TiVo.

This should be sufficient to get me through the Olympics.

10. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The TiVo doesn't guarentee to keep a deleted show for any specific period of time. It entirely depends on whether or not the drive fills up.

Deleted shows have lower priority than even suggestions. So in theory, if you had suggestions on and your drive was full a deleted show might become unrecoverable in minutes - displaced to make room for a suggestion to record.

On the other hand, with suggestions turned off, and not much recording over the summer, I had deleted shows stretching back a few months. (Though now that the Olympics started that'll change. By the end of next week I expect my deleted items to mostly be deleted Olympic coverage)

If you had wanted to use Deleted Items as a way to prioritize you'd want to go in there and manually remove Olympic coverage from deleted to keep the older non-Olympic deleted items around longer.