1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champions "Pilot" S01E01 OAD Mar 8 2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mlsnyc, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Mar 9, 2018 #1 of 15
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    This snuck into my viewing last night. My TiVo was on NBC after recording either Superstore or A.P. Bio so I watched. I thought it was funny and entertaining.

From Mindy Kaeling's production company, it's about two jock brothers running a gym, one (played the uptight guy in Workaholics) past his prime and wanting to make life-altering changes, who instead takes in the child he fathered in college so the child can attend a prestigious performance school in NYC. The Workaholics guy is good as expected. The kid is funny and manages, so far, to not be so annoying playing the typical precocious and sassy wise-beyond-his-years prodigy. The guy who plays the younger brother is good, too. He was probably written to be the dumb jock comic relief but the actor seems to be able to do more with the character than that.

Anyway, not bad for a pilot, I think. 1P set.

2. Mar 9, 2018 #2 of 15
    spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I didn't make it to the first commercial break. Dreadful. Could not believe it made it to TV.

das335 likes this.
  3. Mar 9, 2018 #3 of 15
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I almost turned it off after a few minutes, but stuck with it. I thought it got better towards the end. So I am in for another episode.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I liked it.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Had a Mindy Project feeling, which isn’t surprising. Not bad for a pilot. If that kid was really singing, he is talented.

6. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    If he was really singing and playing the piano, I am floored.

7. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    My ear detected autotune but the kid still sounded very good.

I’m always looking for ways to cut down on my To Do List but once I start watching a show it’s difficult for me to stop.

8. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I saw the young actor on 'The View' this morning and I wanted to check out the show because I really like him. My only issue is that, for some reason I have yet to figure out, I just do.not.like Mindy Kaeling.

On the network website you cannot watch unless you kill your adblock program. :( I'll record E02 and see what I think, but I hate starting a show without seeing its beginning.

9. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I didn't care for Mindy Kaeling when I first saw her on The Office, but she grew on me over the years. I missed the pilot of this show, but I'll find it somewhere. Hulu maybe.

10. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    I don’t like Kaling either but if it’s any consolation she’s not the central focus of the pilot. I’m still sampling it episode to episode, and it might not make it past it’s initial episode order, but the pilot had one ROTF punchline for me so I’ll watch again.

11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I don’t think she is going to be on beyond the Pilot. Maybe a guest role every once in a while.

12. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    The NBC site doesn't have Kaling as a part of the main cast: Champions Cast - NBC.com

Instead, she's listed as a "recurring guest star".

13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Second episode turned into a formulaic sitcom, with 90s cliches. SP deleted.

14. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    I had a similar reaction. A boring, forgettable episode... bye bye.

15. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Felt more like pilot part 2 because they hadn’t settled the story in yet until the end, so I’m staying for now.