Ch 82 - Golf

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jtseltmann, May 13, 2007.

1. jtseltmann

jtseltmann New Member

May 22, 2005

Advertisements

Anyone else have the same HORRIBLE broadcast on NBC (on Saturday)? I'm pretty sure it is NBC and not DTV. The entire last 2 hours was pixelated and unwatchable for me...just curious if anyone else is a golf watcher and had the same bullsh*t broadcast. NBC has been one of the worst providers of HD....noticed it with the hockey HD broadcast also...

just making sure it wasn't me alone...

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I didn't have pixelation on ch 82, just that NBC didn't have HD cameras all of the time. For golf, CBS does the better job.

3. robortho

robortho New Member

Sep 16, 2003
    fla
    I also had an unwatchable picture for the last three hours of the players tourney. I then switched to another live program and saw a lot of pixelation as well. we have a lot of smoke haze and i thought it was interfering with the transmission but all other stations were fine..only nbc

4. Paperboy2003

Paperboy2003 Wasting time here

Mar 30, 2004
    Randolph,...
    I also watched a bunch and had to go to the guide to confirm it was shown in HD....that is never a good sign

5. okoaomo

okoaomo New Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Vacation Land

Advertisements

I watched OTA from WCSH Portland, ME. It was just as crisp and clear as ever. I doubt it was NBC's fault on Ch 82 DTV feed.

6. barracuda3443

barracuda3443 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    Virginia
    I watched Saturday on OTA through my HR10 & at times it was unwatchable. I almost came in here & posted that NBC should be ashamed of their HD. Then yesterday, at a Mothers Day function at my uncles house, we were watching it through a TW HD Box (Sci Atlantic, I think) & it was much better.

:confused:

7. whsbuss

whsbuss Advanced Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Phila, PA
    What I hate the most of NBC-HD broadcasts is their audio. The center channel is so low its almost un-listenable.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I was watching yesterday with my HR10 and there were times the picture would pixelate and then freeze for a few seconds. Thinking this might be a problem with the HR10 I switched over to my HTL-HD non-dvr receiver. This showed the same problems, but not quite as bad. I surmise that the nature of a DVR in the HR10 exacerbates the problem. Any thoughts?

Very true, I usually leave the audio on PCM when watching NBC, DD5.1 just doesn't work right, especially for live broadcasts.

9. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I was watching OTA and it was horrible. Switched to 82 and it was better but they seemed to not be using HD cameras all the time. I am still not sure what was going on. They must have dropped 2 cameras in the water on 17 :)

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I think NBC is under the impression that if they present something in WS the average viewer won't know the difference.

11. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    DTV issue
    possibly related to the NASCAR race being rained out on Saturday and moved to Sunday. Since FOX does not usually have any allocation for HDTV content on a non car race Sunday. This must have thrown the careful DirecTV bandwith balancing act way out of whack...

12. jtseltmann

jtseltmann New Member

May 22, 2005
    I have noticed the same thing on the NBC sporting events...although some shots are in widescreen..it is obvious that it is not HD. I was so fired up because I tivo'd the golf and missed the final three hours becaused of that horrible reception. Sunday's coverage was much better and only a few audio blips and pixelation here and there but nothing like the three hours of pixelation i tivo'd. I was so p*ssed but what can you do. I mean its not the weather..both days were great here. Just more problems with them but I love my HR10-250...and the alternatives are pitiful from what I read. Thanks for the support!

13. az_double_eagle

az_double_eagle Certified Golf Nut

Aug 13, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    Guys, my two cents worth here.

It seemed to me that the SD cameras where the ones that were the mobile "on-course" roving cameras that were following the leaders. All of the "fixed" cameras were HD.

What's funny to me is that on PTI the day before the championship, Tim Finchem (commissioner) was touting how excited he was about and how innovative the broadcast of The Players would be, hinting that this year it would be in "fabulous HD".

If the PGA Tour is so excited about the coverage, then spend a couple of bucks and buy NBC some HD mobile cameras.

By the way, EVERY and ALL weekend coverage of golf tourneys this entire year (whether it is CBS or NBC) has been in HD.

The Masters by FAR was the best. It was transcendent! :D

14. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Not only did I notice that only about every other camera shot was in HD, but having just set up the antenna line on my DirecTV HD DVR (HR-20), I switched between the local NBC HD channel and the OTA one (Channel 4 in DC) and the satellite feed of the channel was not in HD at all. It might have just been temporary; I never switched back to check it out.

And I certainly wouldn't consider ALL coverage to have been in HD, since only about half of NBC's cameras are HD.