CES, Where's the media center?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by flemingljr, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1 of 24
    flemingljr

flemingljr DirecTivo'er

Jan 29, 2002

Advertisements

Anyone remember the big announcement at last years CES about a media center for direcTV that would allow receivers in other rooms to view recorded shows? I thought they would be displaying that this year?

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 24
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    As of right now... There has been no direct mention of last years Home Media Center

Some are reading into the "PRO" offering as being the Home Media Center, but there has been no official word if that is correct or not.

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 24
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
  4. Jan 5, 2006 #4 of 24
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    What WSJ article is in relation to the "Media Center" product that Microsoft has.

What fleming is refering to is the 2005-CES announcment about the Home Media Center (HMC) that at the time was coming from Ucentric (during 2005 they where purchase by motorola)

5. Jan 5, 2006 #5 of 24
    nitsudima

nitsudima New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Westfield, IN

Advertisements

There was some talk, either in Bill Gate's keynote speech last night or some separate interviews, about a Microsoft/DirecTV partnership that would allow DirecTV receivers (presumably DVRs) to share content with Windows-based PCs and Xbox 360s. I'm taking this to also mean that Playsforsure handhelds would also be supported, but I don't remember if that was mentioned specifically or not. In any case, it's likely that the only supported DVR will be the R15.

I'll be at the CES tomorrow, so I'll check the MS and DirecTV booths and try to find out more. I'll see if Tivo is there, too.

6. Jan 5, 2006 #6 of 24
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    You can see some of the articles out there... CNet for one.

(The HR20 would probably also be supported, but a lot depends on the DirecTV 2Go product)

But again... the Media Center that OP is referring to is the one announced at last years CES the Home Media Center from Ucentric.... it had nothing to do with MS's Media Center (hence the confusion we are having now and last year).

Home Media Center was basically (in a brief nutshell) a server/client model for the home running on DirecTV hardware. With a core server unit, and child units at the other ends.

7. Jan 5, 2006 #7 of 24
    GaryGnu

GaryGnu New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Ellicott...
  8. Jan 5, 2006 #8 of 24
    Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Fort...
    Yep, that article mentions the Home Media Center. That article from January 8, 2005, that is. Not quite a year old, but pretty close! :)

9. Jan 6, 2006 #9 of 24
    tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Of course that article is from last years CES. It appears that DirecTV might have dropped the HMC in favor of hooking up with Microsoft and a MCE server. Although I doubt that there will not be a lot of takers for a $1,500 to $2,000 MCE machine with the requirement that the clients will have to be XBOX 360s at $299 to $399 each.

I doubt if Bill Gates will have a problem affording that type of setup, but most of us will struggle to afford $1,800 to $2,400 to watch a DVR recording on one TV and add another $299 to $399 to watch on a second TV. (between $2,100 to $2,800 for a second TV)

You do the math!

Although, if you go to the NDS site, there still is information available on the HMC.

10. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Actually, based upon the "PRO' specifications that have been released, the "PRO" unit will be a rack mounted DVR, with specific extensions to allow it to be used in a rack that is hidden and nothing more.

11. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Unless the HMC could support HD on the clients I'm not sure it would have been a big hit. I really wanted one until others said it was only going do SD on the clients. If I have to put one on each HD TV then what did it buy me?

12. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Very good reason that DirecTV dumped the HMC concept and didn't demo or announce it this year. I didn't pay any attemtion to the announcement last year, because I was waiting for 6.2 amd MRV for my SD DirecTiVos, which happened in May.

At this point, I will likely wait until 2009 or beyond to fully buy into HD and let everyone else pay for the development and go through the pain. I did notice that the old GOLD STANDARD of 1080i has already been replaced by the 1080p standard that the new TVs are supporting.

This type of rapid change will likely continue until there is a majority of HD equipment in the marketplace and that is unlikely until 2009 or beyond.

13. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Bump.

I couldn't find anything new on this.

14. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The latest "information" that I have heard regarding the HMC... (from about 2 months ago)

Is that it is still in development... I will have to ask my contact the next time I talk to him.

I know DirecTV is more focused on getting the HR20 out (it is top of the pecking order), with probably the HMC following next.

15. stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    sorry to ask this because its probably a dumb question, but would this be for the tivo recievers, or just the R15 and all of Directv recievers?

16. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    After that in the pecking order, there is making sure the little bits of toilet paper are picked up in the restroom, the dust is cleaned from the SVP's car each night before driving home and then 6.2 for the HR10-250? ;) ;) ;)

17. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    It is a new line of reciever.

99.999999% chance it will be running a software base closer to that of the R15... then running a TiVo based software.

Since no specifics are out yet about the HMC, I don't know of the R15, HR20, or D11 would be able to act as remote boxes for the HMC.

There is work being done by DirecTV, Microsoft, and Intel for a PC card for Microsoft Media Center (Vista) PC's, so that DirecTV can be a source of programing for the MS Media Center (Vista) systems....

It is thought to be that R15 will be updated to be a Media Extender for Microsoft Media Center via DirecTV2Go, as well as any other Media Extender for MS Media Center would be able to access that programming.....

BUT... bottom line...
    Both of those projects are still in the development phases will no solid or remotely solid timeframes available.

18. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I know 6.x is in the pecking order... just not sure where in that pecking order.

19. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    You know I am just playing with you. Certainly no way you can make D* speed things up. If only Rupert had to use one each day.

20. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Oh I know.... :D