CES 2006 -- This Is Sweet!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Dood, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Dood

Dood New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Cali

Advertisements

Death of TiVo? Doubt it, but I would LOVE to own one of these.

Death of Tivo?

2. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    The only problem is that Scientific-Atlanta has always made real bad cheap hardware, that is lucky that it functions over night, especially if it is more complex than a light bulb. And based upon what is happening with the other announcements, this DVR will likely just be another DVR lost in cableland, along with the Motorola's and the Moxi's.

But there are always people to who buy the "COMBO" hardware units only to regret it when one of the combo functions die.

3. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Yea... But SA DVD recorders are so cheap and easy to use already. For $18 a month that is like two DVD recorders per year in fees. But, it is better than a kick in the pants...not as good as the price-to-usefulness of the DTiVo deal currently in place though.

4. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    So, if this is an option for cable subscribers, why is it in the "DirecTV with TiVo receivers" forum?

5. jgrade

jgrade New Member

Aug 11, 2005

Advertisements

Good point about the placement, but I stopped reading the article when they touted that it had all the great feature of the 8300. I have used to 8300 and this is the biggest piece of s**t I have ever seen. I won't even get into the problems with this unit. TiVo killer, not in my lifetime! If only SA would run the TiVo software, now that would be nice.

BTW what's up with C-Net always taking about the TiVo killer hardware/software? It's like they have a personal grudge against them. Personally, I don't read reports from C-Net anymore.

6. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Either a grudge or a play on the popularity of TiVo in that they know that those who own one will go "WTF? Are you crazy?!" and people who don't will want to know, "Is there a subscription fee involved?".