CES 2006 Sea Changes?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Justin Thyme, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Has anyone detected any "sea change" resulting from CES 2006 announcements that would have an impact on Digital video recorders/ PVRs?

This could be fairly open in definition- anything from an "in your face" thing like a huge amount of content providers releasing content over IP for a particular platform, to the beginnings of a major trend suggested by an innovative product however minor in current appearance?

So far, I am just seeing continuation of patterns- and only quantitative improvements. More stuff on IP, more portables, more size, more minaturization.

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    So far CES is all about portables. I haven't seen a lot of major announcements for deliverying content to a customers televisions in any type of seamless and affordable way. Of course cable companies will be offering more VOD options. Microsoft is getting more partners, etc. Of course all of the announcements are just that, announcements. It seems a lot of the technologies for deliverying content are not viable long term. Perhaps we are in more of a temporary stage where no one is sure where we are headed.

3. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Content delivered to everything BUT the TV - unless your TV happens to be connected to a PC or handheld video viewer.

That's not literally true - but it feels that way. TiVo remains in a relatively unique position to download directly to a box already connected to the home entertainment system and that was designed specifically and elegantly for such purpose.

If only the world weren't moving so much faster.

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Will Mac have the only compelling deliver of Content to the TV ?

What will Yahoo have to say about downloadable content to the TiVo/TV ?

and what about a portable player with an alchemy chip you can hook directly to the TiVo ?

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Google has something in the works for pay TV downloads.

6. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Agreed.

Google TV/Youtube type hosting and the Sanyo VPC-HD1.

No desktop video app- just shoot it the way you want it to go on the web, and upload it to YouTube or Google, and have Tivo record the High rated stuff in the categories you like. (Google video store lets owners set whatever fee they want- my bet is most downloads will be free- sorry hollywood.)

Long tail yadayadayada but there are going to be tons of these little gigachip based HD recorders in a few years creating all kinds of youtube type content.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5721216010568488162