CEO Tivo Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Davyburns, May 20, 2008.

1. Davyburns

Davyburns New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    North East...

Advertisements

I Just found this

Dont know if they will take questions from the UK, but if you dont try.....

2. TrainManG

TrainManG OldTellyMan

Apr 21, 2003
    Harlow
    Submit a TiVo question to Tom Rogers here:
    http://allthingsd.com/d/ask-a-question/

Suggest everybody tries this. I've just done it. The more they get from the UK the less likely they will ignore them, after all it's NOT TiVo's own people asking the questions. The Americans don't like poor service and if they see the US being dragged through the mud by a financially targeted management team they may well react in our favour - I hope!

Still got 3 not working. Heigh-Ho!

3. Davyburns

Davyburns New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    North East...
    Might be a good idea to post our questions here as well. That way we can see if we have all relevent points covered.
    Cant remember my exact wording, but I asked if there were any plans in the forthcomming year, to escalate business in the UK, and to support series 2 and series 3 Tivos. was a bit longer than that, but that was the jist.
    Davy

4. nyc_tivo

nyc_tivo Elegant User

Oct 17, 2005
    Beds
    I asked whay the UK had been left in limbo for so long and requested action to either develop the service or release it to another operator to develop. Why had he failed to do this thus far.

5. Glen

Glen New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Coast, UK

Advertisements

nice! Thanks nyc_tivo. Its nice to have support from the other side of the water aswell. I said about our tivos being very very basic in functionality compared to others and please would he confirm anything regarding the UK.

6. gadgetguy

gadgetguy New Member

May 26, 2002
    Edinburgh
    I notice Rupert Murdoch will be present. There is no chance he will allow any questions on Tivo in the UK. :rolleyes:

7. Glen

Glen New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Coast, UK
    theres not a lot he can do, short of shouting at tom to shut up. The problem is, with Murdoch there, if Tom did say anything murdoch would hear it and would no doubt attempt some sort of counter move by Sky

8. Davyburns

Davyburns New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    North East...
    Its really about weight of numbers, if only a handful of people write questions referencing the UK market, it will probably be ignored anyway, but if they were inundated, they would see the depth of feeling here.

Its in all of our interests to get as many questions in as possible

davy

9. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    The impression that I've always got is that it isn't so much TiVo's reluctance as the reluctance of the manufacturers.

I don't think they see any opportunity for a subscription-based Tivo against the might of Sky satellite, Windows MCE, or the various other solutions with free EPG's.

I suspect Thomson made quite a loss on the Series 1.

10. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch Member

Apr 30, 2005
    That may well explain the lack of new hardware...but where are the software updates for the existing hardware?

How many updates has the S1 Tivo had since launch? Where are the offical updates and bug-fixes?

11. mesaka

mesaka travelling member

Sep 27, 2002
    I asked about UK strategy, in particular regarding new hardware.

I hope enough ask a question in order to get some kind of response from Tom Rogers!

12. djb2002

djb2002 Member

May 1, 2006
    I've asked a question too :)

13. sfalvey

sfalvey Long time lurker

Feb 26, 2004
    Sydney,...
  14. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    From the TiVo results for the quarter:-
    This could be what sets TiVo apart in the UK, and may be the marketable 'extra' compared to other Freeview and Freesat recorders that would persuade people to pay a small subscription for the service, even though we all know it's worth the sub for the TiVo alone :up:

15. laurence@key2.co

laurence@key2.co Loz

Jun 17, 2007
    Croydon
    I asked a question too!

16. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    Sorry to be pessimistic, but that's a fluff answer from Tom Rogers. Keeps us hoping, promises nothing.

17. nyc_tivo

nyc_tivo Elegant User

Oct 17, 2005
    Beds
    Ignoring (or was he forgetting) that it had already previously launched in UK, i take that as a 'Never'

18. k2010

k2010 New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I have two Tivo's they both went out about a week apart, Frozen on start up; technician says time to buy another one, I do not have 300.00 floating around could use at least one Tivo box though for now, I see refurbs for 79.95 but I can not use my existing plan they say, why not ?? one year has to start all over again? I have been paying on time for the past 4 years; Why can't I buy one and add it to my current plan? scrap the other ones, techs say the drives are fried; can someone at a high level flip a swicth, pull the trigger and let me me buy a Tivo box so I can use it with my existing 12.95 a month plan unless anyone has any ideas I am open for suggestions, who is the top guru I can call e-mail and or send letters to and or is there a simple way and don't say ebay or weakness; I can only afford around $80.00 or can someone takes these two large paper weights and trade them in series 2 40GB the older 2005 models, Thanks e-mail me at notermites@gmail.com my name is Kevin and need some tivo help please.

19. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech
    Hi Kevin,

You have posted on the UK forum. Whilst it's a pleasure to hear from our cousins across the pond we can't offer you any help I'm afraid.

Martin

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Kevin,

As a UK customer with a Series 1 I don't know that much about the Series 2 machines and hard drive replacement.

However I believe all you need is a new hard drive of whatever size you want to use and a copy of the CD at www.mfslive.org and you should then be able to get both machines up and running again at very modest cost if you can wield a screwdriver and unplug and replug a hard drive lead or two and attach the new drive to your PC to format it. You might also possibly need a CD with an image of an original US Series 2 drive as well. I'm sure this can be found somewhere on the US side of the forum.