Central List of Bugs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by joecm874, Jan 29, 2007.

1. joecm874

joecm874 New Member

Nov 16, 2006

Advertisements

We need a list of confirmed/suspected bugs for the Tivo Series 3. I have run across a number of issues and I'd like to verify the are bugs and tivo knows about them. I see a thread marked Bug List, but is the original post being updated, or does a person need to cycle through the entire thread to find all the bugs.

It is pretty clear there are some pretty big issues with the S3 (most of which I have not experienced, knock on wood). Has an update date been announced?

I should also say that I was an early Tivo adopter in the past and never had such issues.

Some issues I've had recently

1) Extra minutes recorded: Lets say you turn on the TV and the S3 is tuned to an episode of Monk. You see that it is 15 minutes into the show. You click the record button to watch it later. When you go to play it, the entire buffer plus the show is saved as "Monk" in the guide. so the 1 hour show is saved as a 1hour 20 minute show with 20 minutes of the previous show at the start. Not the correct behavior and not in the S1 or S2.

2) BSG for the last 2 weeks has displayed by default the spanish language Closed Caption on. There is no way to turn them off. My cable box, and S2 both do not show this caption. Cablecard problem, or S3? Note: it happens on both cards.

3) As I watched a basketball game, random captions (strange characters) appeared a few times throughout the game.

4) Shows recorded without sound. Has happened twice.

5) Tivo Freezes. It has happened twice. Remote will not work. Front panel controls will not work. Only unplugging the S3 will allow you to continue.

6) From Tivo Online, I set a program to record on a specific channel. I got the response back saying it would that show, on the specified channel, at the correct time. When I got home to watch it, it recorded what it thought was the same program on a different channel (it was wrong).

Can we get an update to the software?

2. Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Lost Member

Nov 16, 2000
  3. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I don't have a clue as to what your talking about strange graphics. I use to see those sometimes in the 60's but let's not go there. :D

Software updates occurre when TiVo releases them. I've heard for the past two months that 8.1 is going to be released within the next two or three weeks.

4. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME

Advertisements

With the last post in the thread as yesterday, I would say that thread is still current.

:rolleyes: yourself.

5. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Wow, I haven't noticed those problems on either of my S3's, you might need to get a new one.

6. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    As they used to say, so many decades ago when I was in school: READ FOR COMPREHENSION.

The original poster knows that the original thread has recent posts in it. What he wanted to avoid was

The original post has the following at its bottom

Last edited by MediaLivingRoom : 09-18-2006 at 11:52 AM

So, no, the orginal post is NOT being updated and your snide remarks have NOT answered his question.

Is that clear enough for you or does someone need to translate into Basic English? Just to make clear what Basic English is, here's the Wikepedia entry for it:

Basic English is a constructed language with a small number of words created by Charles Kay Ogden and described in his book Basic English: A General Introduction with Rules and Grammar (1930). The language is based on a simplified version of English, in essence a subset of it.

7. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Exactly - the answers are all there in the thread. And if there were a question about the thread, wouldn't it be appropriate to ASK IT IN THAT THREAD, rather than start a whole new thread to talk about it?

Now. Do you have any content to contribute, or are you just going to keep being an *******? Is that "Basic English" enough for you, or do I need to talk slower?

8. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    This is becoming a pattern with you GoHokies! You seem to have different posting rules for people who love their S3 and those that have anything negative to say. You jump to sarcasm and name calling practically every time.

In this thread, you didn't even seem to glean the OP felt the community might want a thread where they could see the entire bug list in one post. When that's pointed out, you just keep going.

Disagree all you like man, but find a more intelligent method than name calling when you are either losing or in an argument you would like to be out of.

Grow up.

9. dmw-01

dmw-01 New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I was looking for that sort of thread and hadn't found it either. I found another similar one. Shouldn't it be a sticky thread? It would be a lot easier to find.

10. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    You first.

I didn't jump into the insults or name calling first.

Phantom Gremlin came in here and acted like an a-hole, so I called him one. Just like I told you before, if you don't like being called an a-hole then don't act like one. Maybe if I keep telling you that over and over again, you'll finally get it - it works for my three year old and the similarities in your behavior are striking.

If you have a personal problem with me, send me a PM or put me on your ignore list, but stop running around behind me and insulting me every time I post something that you disagree with.

11. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Let's see if I can get this right. I've been studying. Here goes.

Is there any content there or are you just trying to be an ...?

12. tedbill

tedbill New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Getting back to the OP, I think it would be really neat if we had a site where suggestions and bugs could be posted. Then let everyone vote on each submittal as a way of letting TiVo know what users think are the biggest issues, and the most valuable enhancements. We could probably do something similar with the Forums, but it would be nice to have it more organized and easy to sort by rating.

I'm sure that TiVo does some of this research already, but it would be fun if we could all be part of it!

13. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Or, why not just go to TiVo.com and give them your suggestions? Your Feature Ideas for the TiVo Service

14. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
  15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's for features, but not FOR BUGS.

For bugs, I would suggest people call up Tivo and describe them. I really wish there were a web site or email address where people could send specific bug info.

16. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    The OP said "I think it would be really neat if we had a site where suggestions and bugs". I gave a solution for suggestions. What's wrong with that? You could probably send your bug list to them with that form as well. No harm, I'm sure.

17. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    For bugs, try doing this. It isn't exactly what you were talking about, but you can either ***** about the bugs or you can volunteer to help do something about them.

http://www.tivo.com/beta

18. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I think I have a problem with what people think is a "bug". A bug IMHO should be something that affects everyone, for example the scrolling through the guide and sound drop off. That's a bug.

But so many individuals have all these other problems that they claim are bugs. Problems for them, yes but not necessarily a bug. I don't think that partial recordings are a "bug", just a problem some are experiencing.

You get what I'm saying. Every problem is not a bug and if we created a bug list it would go on for pages upon pages with every little complaint.

Just my opinion. But keep in mind I'm always right. :D

19. joecm874

joecm874 New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Hook Biil.... Agreed, everything is not a bug. However, how is one to know if they are alone in experiencing an issue, rather than it being a widespread bug? Should they spend their days reading through forums looking for answers, or should there be a sticky here that says "Here are the known issues, here are the common ones, and here are the rare ones. And let people know they have been reported to Tivo and you might expect a resolution sometime.

GoHokies... I signed up for the beta program over a month ago and haven't heard back. I've called tivo and can't get an answer. Now I have posted here. I don't see where above I am "bitching". I stated my issues. I asked for a bug list. I asked for an upgrade.