Celebrity Apprentice "Laugh On" 5/8/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cearbhaill, May 9, 2011.

1. May 9, 2011 #1 of 23
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    NeNe is a loser- I think she choked at the thought of a fundraising challenge and used Star as an excuse. Good riddance to trash.

Did you notice the Billie Jean lighting effects under Latoya's feet as she left the building? Perfect.

Marlee's the one who dropped the ball on managing her team and she squeaked for sure.
    She is golden to Trump but her cracks are showing.

I laughed, I whooped, I clapped my hands and reveled in Meat Loaf's taking down of Star.
    He's not "educated enough" to talk to her? Waaay more snooty and condescending than his inadvertent "sweetie", though I'm not condoning it. She almost turned on the waterworks there when Trump refused to see the word as such a big deal. She should have known better than to play that card with him.
    Glad to see her and her credentials gone- that behavior is uppity and yes I said it.

But..... who is going to do the PowerPoint presentations?

2. May 9, 2011 #2 of 23
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I was pretty shocked Trump fired Star. I thought for sure she was his Golden Child, destined to make it to the final two at least.

Sorry, Meat, but that commercial fairly stunk. :thumbsdown: It was clumsy and silly.

3. May 9, 2011 #3 of 23
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Obviously, so was she. So was Marlee.

4. May 9, 2011 #4 of 23
    Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    Lame. She is not Michael, never held a candle to Michael, doesn't deserve to be in the same discussion as Michael, had nothing to do with Michael's success. Other than the matching plastic surgery and the last name, she's just another publicity seeking no-talent hack, no different than Nene.

Back to obscurity she goes with an inflated sense of societal importance. For heaven's sake, the Hiltons would only give her $1000! I bet they authorize their receptionist to offer that much to anybody that calls from a charity.

5. May 9, 2011 #5 of 23
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Whenever they showed an interview of her and showed the her job as "Entertainment Entrepreneur", I keep thinking that instead it should show "Sister"

6. May 9, 2011 #6 of 23
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Glad Star is gone. I think Trump finally saw her true colors. It's everyone's fault but mine. But I think Marlee really should have been gone. She really dropped the ball as project manager and should have stood up to Meatloaf and said we need a script - even an outline and told Star to write her brand info up so it was coherent.

I loved the van dropping on the woman.

7. May 9, 2011 #7 of 23
    Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    Marlee is a tough one. You can't argue with Marlee....I mean you literally can't argue with Marlee unless you know sign language. Having a conflict through an interpreter is fruitless. Marlee has been able to stay above the fray because she really can't be engaged in that way.

I think Marlee is sharp, but I also think that she gets a bit of a pass because of her deafness. Did you see her when Star and Meat were going at in the reception area? She just stood there and tried to keep up with the interpreter (which by the way must be a tough to interpret a heated argument). I'm sure in a normal situation she would have been drawn into that argument backing one side or another, but both Meat and Star knew they couldn't easily engage her for backup.

Deafness is certainly not an advantage for anybody, but in her case it brings another dynamic that she has benefitted from.

8. May 9, 2011 #8 of 23
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I understand your point but I still think the effect was a cool nod.

And she is plenty different than NeNe in that she doesn't go full out ballistic wacko when criticized.
    I found a lot to admire about LaToya, most especially her refusal to become engaged when specifically baited.

9. May 9, 2011 #9 of 23
    Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    Seemed to me that it wasn't so much that LaToya refused to be engaged, it looked more to me like LaToya didn't know HOW to engage.

In my very unfair and not-based-on-anything-other-than-my-assumption opinion, I'm going to guess LaToya has never had to argue or fight with anybody for anything in her life.

Even her characterization to the others that she "fought hard in Mr. Trump's office to get another chance" was completely false. Clearly that was a completely scripted interchange with no fight in her whatsoever.

I don't think she knows when she is being baited and how she is supposed to respond (tee hee, whisper laugh)

10. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Active Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Eastern PA
    I agree. I rewound and watched that again...thought it was very well done.

11. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Star was essentially saying it's not her job to blah, blah, blah...good riddance!!

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Star spent as much effort on trying to set things up on whatever task they were working on so that SHE would not be the fall person as she did on the actual tasks themselves. She dodged a bullet several times where she should have been gone because there were people who couldn't argue as effectively, in my opinion.

And someone please correct me if I'm wrong (because I didn't go back to look at it), but I thought in the editing bay Meat Loaf actually said they should have the box in the last shot but Star insisted on the logo instead.

<...several minutes later...>

OK, so I did go back to look at that. Star, in the headshot interview, says, "My strength is in brand messaging and product integration, so I filled in those blanks." Cut back to editing bay and Star says, "Scott, I have the ending and I want you to put www.OnStar.com under the closing logo shot." Meat immediately jumps in and says, "No, no, no, no wait, wait." Star butts in, "I like it." (referring to the closing logo shot). Cut to Meat's headshot interview, "We had the shot of the product and that's how we were going to close (editors showing the shot they had of the box) with that last shot of that box, when Star goes 'we don't need that shot, we've got the logo'". Then Meat indicates that he really wanted to argue the point, but he was not involved with the product information delivery - that was Star, so he bit his tongue.

That was another place where it would have benefited them if Marlee had inserted herself and gone with the product shot instead.

I am SO glad Star is gone - with her smug 'nobody here deserves to even be in the same room with me' attitude. I think what really did her in (though George told Donald before things happened that he should fire Star due to the brand imaging being in the same place, apparently, where Nene was - nowhere around) was the argument that took place outside the boardroom (poor Amanda!).

And what was with that stinkface staredown she gave the elevator operator as the doors were closing??? I hope that was just her avoiding looking anywhere near the camera and nothing else.

I got almost as much pleasure over Star's firing as I did when Dionne got booted - almost, but not quite!

They never did say how much money LaToya raised, did they? All that was aired was the 1K from the Hilton's, right? I wonder how much more than that she brought in.

Well, going into this episode the two people I was most hoping wouldn't be there at the end of the three hours were Star and LaToya, so it was all good for me.

13. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Man Meatloaf is an emotional wreck, get that man meds QUICK!!

14. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Just going off of memory alone, but wasn't there a brief reference to one team doing $102K and the other getting about $80K?

15. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Active Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Eastern PA
    Yes - Meat Loaf's team raised 102k, and Latoya's team raised 82k. I think the question was wondering how much Latoya herself raised, as the other two seemed to raise a bunch of cash and the only amount that I recall them attributing to her was the 1k from the Hiltons.

16. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Meatloaf needs to turn in his man-card, thought he was going to have to go into 72 hour hold for a mental eval. Can you imagine Meat actually working for Trumps organization?

Who mixed the audio for Lil Jon's intro..that was horrible! Sounded like a bad Youtube video.

Surprised as everyone else that Trump fired Star. Rating wise it made sense to have the two strongest of both Team ASAP and BACKBONE to duke it out.

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Yes, this.

Ratings-wise, if people generally disliked Star, firing her wouldn't necessarily hurt the ratings. And given the team make-up, I'm of the mind that Marlee and Meat might be the stronger two of that team. And also ratings-wise, I think Meat's mini-meltdowns may make for better ratings than Star's beeyotchiness.

18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Okay, so I finally caught the first half, as I wanted to see the comedy show, and I had previously only caught the boardroom.

When they were in the "war-room" trailer outside the club, raising money, John Rich asked LaToya how much she had raised and she said $18K and then clarified it as $17,500. So other than the Hiltons rather small donation, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump had a say in keeping that bit of video in the show, as Trump and Hilton would be competitors in the hotel biz, wouldn't they? And that would make the Hiltons appear to be much less charitable than Trump.

I'm just sayin' ...

I maintain my prediction that Marlee will be the champ, based on the fact that she was a performer on the Trump Roast on Comedy Central.

19. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I think it would have been pretty easy to expose Star. Unlike everyone else on the show who was trying to win first, she was always trying to cover her backside first. Winning was always second. She did this blatantly and without fail.

Notice pretty much everyone left is there because they worked as hard as they could as often as they could and let things fall where they may. Star was really shocked she got fired, which I enjoyed.

I think by far Lil Jon is the biggest surprise of the whole show. I am really shocked by him.. He is really a level headed and hard working guy... But then I got to thinking about it, and I realized that to become a succesful hip hop star/rapper is probably one of the hardest things to accomplish. There is so much competition, everyone thinks they can rap, that it takes an extraordinarily large amount of talent, hard work and smarts to make it through that gauntlet. Anyways, I will say I was really surprised by him the most this show. Trump was right in saying he is probably hurting his rep by being so together.

20. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    ASAP totally missed the message. Sure it was "cute" and had some creativity but the message was get ONStar now in ANY vehicle. If I walked out of the room before the end of ASAP's commercial I would have missed that message.

My prediction for the final 2 is John Rich and Marlee. They both have already gone head to head twice and each have a win under them when doing so (though Marlee did kill John in the fundraiser) so I could see this being discussed as the final tie breaking battle.