CDROM ID for Instantcake

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lillevig, Aug 20, 2011.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I am trying to run Instantcake to make a new drive for my Series 3 HD unit. I'm not a Linux guy but I can see in the bootup that the target drive is identified as being connected to the USB port as drive sdb. The problem is that Instantcake wants to know how my CDROM drive is connected and what the drive ID is for it. The best I can tell under Windows Device Manager is that the CDROM is connected as a SATA device (no PATA controllers) but no clue as to the drive ID (e.g.: sdc, sdd, etc.) except that it connects as Windows drive D:. I entered SATA and sdc but Instantcake rejects that combination. Guess I could keep experimenting but thought this forum might provide a quicker answer. The laptop is an ACER 5742 (the i3 processor version).

UPDATE: I tried the Linux command "ls -l /dev/cdrom" and it tells me that the CDROM is device "hdb" but Instantcake still doesn't like that designation.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I suggest you ask this in the Upgrade Center section of the forum or check out dvrupgrade.com's own support forum, as I'm sure this question has come up before.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How did you refer to the cdrom in your command(s), as sdb or /dev/sdb?

Probably eeds to be the latter. If that is what you told InstantCake, then try just sdb. It may be assuming /dev/

Yet another edit:

I just looked at the screen shots for InstantCake, it looks like it doesn't really want the /dev/

4. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Initially I just answered the InstantCake prompts for PATA/SATA and then device IDs (sda, sdb, etc.). After it failed, Instantcake provided the command line to try again with different device IDs. I'm beginning to think that InstantCake may only support some CDROM drives. The CD came with the upgraded Tivo HD (1 GB) that I bought so at least I'm not out any money. If I can't get it to work then maybe someone has a good WINMFS .tbk file available from a 160 GB drive.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Your InstantCake CDROM contains a perfectly good restore image that you can use with mfstools or WinMFS. I don't recall the exact path to it, but I'm sure it would be obvious with a bit of poking around.

6. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    As it turns out, someone posted a method on the DVRUpgrade forum just yesterday afternoon that details how to take the InstantCake image and use it with a flash drive and MFSLive Tools. The image is in a different format for MFSLive Tools than it is for WINMFS so it will not work with WINMFS.