CD /DEV/HDC not working - simple question / problem and solution?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by a_tivo_noob, May 28, 2011.

1. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    Ok, i'm really struggling and google isn't helping me either :(

Old PC dug out of the loft

Booted MFSTOOLS cd (HDD)
    Tivo drive quoted as being HDC

How on earth do I get access to the Tivo drive?!?!

(Background - I'm trying to run a Turbonet driver install - fairly certain the drivers are already on the image that i've put on the HDC, but can't remember or google on how to access it - something like "mount /dev/hdc /mnt/c" followed by "cd /mnt/c" isn't working) "you must specify the filesystem type"

The TurboNet drivers are on my MFSTools cd but when running "nic_install turbonet" I get "ERROR - NO TIVO DRIVE DETECTED", and when i run "nic_config_tivo turbonet" I get "CANNOT EXECUTE BINARY FILE" (though this is the file I will want to run on the TIVO hard drive

... this is doing me head in! :s - my linux is naff :(

2. mutant_matt2

mutant_matt2 New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    As long as you have created the mount point first, it *should* work:

mkdir /mnt/c

(or perhaps, sudo mkdir /mnt/c)

(though, the error in question isn't complaining about the mount point not being there...)

Are you sure it's on /dev/hdc? It's been so long since I pulled the drive I can't remember what's what, but I think it tells you when you boot the ISO? If not, can you do an "fdisk -l" (that's a lower case L for List) (or sudo fdisk -l), to see what partitions are listed...

Matt :)

3. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Make sure you're using the right CD, download one from here: http://www.tivocentral.co.uk/downloads

nic_config_tivo is a binary which only runs on a TiVo (via telnet), not on a PC...

4. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    cheers guys - i will double check the drive but 99.99999% sure it's a secondary master, and i did catch it saying what HDC and HDD were so again fairly comfortable they're correct

the CD should be fine as it is one i've burnt before for doing a cachecard install with (or doing a backup of tivo... or for adding end pad! :D )

5. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    i will do the fdisk though - and double check i did the mkdir

6. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    ok, i after some playing, i can mount HDD and doing LS reveals its definitely the D drive (isolinux is on it etc etc)

doing the same with HDC still gives me "mount: you must specify the filesystem type", and when i do cd /mnt/c, followed by 'ls' all it does is give me a new command line

doing fdisk -l gives me the details of my win98 c drive,

then quotes "disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 64 sectors"... etc etc

followed by lin of:
    "disk /dev/hdc doesn't contain a valid partition table"

if i put the disk in the tivo it still boots up tho

7. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Ah, disconnect any other drives when using an mfstools disk.

nic_install is probably stopping when it sees the win98 disk.

8. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    thanks for the suggestion - removed the primary drive and still getting errors so have done as you said here:

I must say I do like this bootdisk! Linux looks so much more friendlier when it's uses colours! :D

The instructions state:
    Have done the above, and i'm getting the following error:
    have you any ideas or suggestions? :)

9. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    doh - dropped the "%" and it's worked!!! :) how stupid do i feel now! :D

10. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    all sorted now, that worked and have set it up for the turbonet, given new ip address and its back in tivo - can telnet in so all hunky dory - thanks for your help and sorry for not downloading the cd from the link and saving myself a lot of hassle! :D

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You've got a Series 1 TiVo, right?

Despite the differences between the ones here in the States and the ones there, I'm pretty sure you've got a byte-swapped hard drive with an Apple Partition Map, and fdisk ain't gonna see it as anything other than empty unless it's previously been used in a PC and then been repurposed as a TiVo drive.

You need to use pdisk to see TiVo partitions.

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You aren't trying to access the TiVo drive,you're trying to access one of the partitions on the TiVo drive, and first you have to make a mount point (directory) and then specify the file system used to format that particular partition when you go to mount it.