CBSN Original: The War on Science, extremists on 4chan

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Apr 12, 2020.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Was watching this in the CBS app while I have CBS All Access.

I think the whole ep is at https://www.cbsnews.com/video/the-war-on-science/. Was weird to see there's a convention of flat earthers. They talked to the science teacher (who is also principal) of a Christian school in Texas who teaches creationism and doesn't believe in evolution. He asserted that that dinosaurs did coexist with humans and that was 5000 years ago. :eek:

For whatever reason, the above episode then led into an unrelated topic where they spoke to a guy who is active on 4chan. I'd heard about the craziness that is 4chan from the TWiT podcast and a co-worker but wow... this guy was extreme in terms of his profanity, racial slurs and his attitudes. It seemed like he became very desensitized and had not much of a moral compass. It seems like https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kids-radicalization-online-cbsn-originals-extremists-next-door/ has what I saw + some that I didn't.

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    4chan is essentially a bunch of trolls and like all troll sections of the internet it attracts people who don't think it is a joke.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    This is a revelation to you? I hate to tell you, but there are millions of Americans who think like that. It's a minority position, but barely. (And many of the rest are only slightly less ignorant.)

Yeah, actually I was shocked when I first realized it, too. There was a time when I thought of creationists as extreme fringe nut-jobs, like... well, flat-Earthers. But that was decades ago.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020