CBS Sunday Line Up Delay Issues

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by JLucPicard, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1 of 46
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....

Advertisements

Started this thread as to not load up the URGENT NOTICE thread with discussion items...

The Amazing Race has been airing in this slot for a long time now, so hopefully most people who watch are very familiar with the issues involved with CBS football coverage.

Even in the Central and Eastern time zone, there are going to be MANY markets that aren't affected by this either. I happen to live in a market where the Vikings are generally aired in the noon time slot (whether it be CBS or FOX), so the CBS double-header game is generally the 3:00 game, so this affects me most weeks.

A couple things I have noticed this year that I don't think I did before:

The Sunday promos for the shows airing after football, once it is determined how much of a delay there was, tend to have notices at the bottom of the screen as to when those shows will actually air in that market.

I also saw a commercial the other day that caught my eye that was actually a dedicated promo to the fact that CBS airs The Amazing Race, The Good Wife and CSI:Miami on Sunday nights, and they are aware that many times they are delayed. It then went on to suggest that people who record them pad my an hour (I think it was).

Now, if they could just decide to get rid of 60 Minutes! ;);)

2. Dec 6, 2011 #2 of 46
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Hey, that is about the only show I watch on CBS, certainly the only one on Sunday night.

3. Dec 7, 2011 #3 of 46
    Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    I pad 60 minutes by an hour!

4. Dec 8, 2011 #4 of 46
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Lol!!!!

5. Dec 9, 2011 #5 of 46
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN

Advertisements

Should be renamed "120 minutes"...

6. Dec 9, 2011 #6 of 46
    Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    Precisely!

Took my 2 days to see it.....

:p

:D

7. Dec 9, 2011 #7 of 46
    bud8man

bud8man Tivo Evangelist

Feb 12, 2004
    Oakland, NJ
    Probably easier to set a recording time and channel for CBS from the time the show you want is supposed to start until say 30 or 40 minutes after prime time. 11:40 PM or so on the east coast. I just gave up watching CSI Miami. It was easier and freed up more time on my TiVo. Otherwise I was forced to watch CSI Miami first to delete a two hour recording for a one hour show.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Um, but if you do a block record you have to watch everything in the block before you can delete it.

9. Sep 6, 2012 #9 of 46
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    There is a change for 2012 - the "late games" in an NFL Doubleheader now start at 4:25 Eastern instead of 4:15. CBS has not made any announcement that it will be modifying its schedule (say, by padding its football coverage until 8:00 like Fox does, then pre-empting The Mentalist and showing everything else an hour late), so expect another year of having to guess when the Sunday shows begin in the Eastern and Central time zones.

This affects the following Sundays on CBS:
    September 16, 23
    October 7, 21
    November 4, 18
    December 2, 16, 30

Note that this also increases the chance of Fox's Sunday schedule starting a few minutes late on Fox's doubleheader days (the Sundays that are not CBS doubleheader days, plus December 30). For those of us in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, remember that on Fox doubleheader days, The Cleveland Show (and whatever repeat Fox would air right before it) is pre-empted.

10. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    And as Don mentioned, it's now The Mentalist in that 10:00 time slot so it becomes a little more important. I suspect I will simply pad The Mentalist by an hour.

11. km

km Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Atlanta....
    What about the other Sundays? Is "60 Minutes" at 7PM safe on the other Sundays?

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It's best just to pad everything you are recording on Sunday night on CBS and FOX in order to ensure you get it all even if it is delayed by up to an hour. I wouldn't even bother just worrying about it on double-header Sundays as other sporting events (golf, tennis) can result in delays as well as the local team playing in the late game.

13. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    It depends -- even in non-doubleheader weeks, some local markets will get a late game on CBS (the difference is that they get only a late game). In fact, Atlanta has a better chance of that than some other markets, since your local team is NFC.

You won't necessarily know during the season until a few days in advance, when the schedules come out that show which affiliates are carrying which games.

The good news is that you're safe this Sunday -- the CBS affiliate in Atlanta is carrying their single game at 1:00.

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    CBS is AFC.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BTW, 60 minutes is available as an audio podcast, so you can at least hear it there if you miss it.

16. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Actually, this Sunday, CBS is airing the U.S. Open men's singles final (at least that was the plan before the tornado in the area); unless it's a relatively short match, expect 60 Minutes to be delayed.

As for the rest of the season, on five of the Fox doubleheader days (9/30, 10/28, 11/11, 11/25, and 12/9), the Falcons have a 1:00 game on Fox; presumably, Atlanta's CBS station will not want to air its one game at the same time, as it knows most people would choose to watch the Falcons game, so it is likely it will air a 4:05 game on those days (note that a "late" game starts at 4:05 instead of 4:25 if it is not part of a doubleheader). However, there is another problem; since the CBS "national feed" starts at 7:00 on those days, Atlanta will probably get 60 Minutes "already in progress."

I know that some cities with this problem start airing the 7 PM show on one of the network station's subchannels; you might want to keep an eye out for that.

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You are ignoring the fact that this situation entails for every NFC city in the east or central time zones whose team is playing the 1:00 game on those days, including Atlanta's opponent on every one of them.

18. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Heh, I thought about explaining exactly why I said what I said in my original message, but decided to leave it out for clarity.

Because the Falcons are the NFC, all but two of their games will air on Fox (those being two home games against visiting AFC opponents, which will air on CBS). That means there's more of a chance of the local CBS affiliate choosing to -- or having to due to NFL rules -- not air a game at the same time as the Falcons are on Fox. Thus, Atlanta has more of a chance of having a late game on CBS during a Fox doubleheader week than, for example, Jacksonville.

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Ah, all is clear now. Yes, during non CBS double-header Sundays, CBS is more likely to air a game that does not conflict with the home team game. I don't think they are any NFL requirements that they do so however.

It will also depend on whether or not they have something else scheduled in the late game slot. For instance, tomorrow is a FOX double-header day and the Falcons are playing the 1:00 game, @KC. Since CBS has U.S. Open coverage starting at 4:00, they are also showing a 1:00 game here. Otherwise, they wouldn't be showing a game at all in either Atlanta or KC, especially since there aren't any 4:00 games with an AFC visiting team tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure that if a late game being shown in any eastern or central time market goes beyond the allocated time slot, they will slip the entire schedule and give everybody "bonus" coverage. No "joining 60 minutes already in progress"

20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Important to whom?

:D

Geez people...if you watch ANYTHING on CBS on Sunday evenings...pad...pad...pad....that's all you have to do. Not rocket science.