CBS--Show Labeled As Skip No Skip Mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mbernste, Oct 10, 2019.

1. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ

Advertisements

Over the past 2 weeks, I've noticed that my CBS shows are labeled as having skip mode, but the ability to skip ads (auto or pressing D), other than fast-forwarding, is not available. I am in the NYC market area (WCBS) if that makes any difference. Is anyone else having this problem? Other networks with shows labeled with "skip" work just fine.

2. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Over 100 views and no one else is having this problem with CBS? If not nationally, then at least the large population of TiVO users in the NYC Metro area. Since this really isn't a guide lineup issue, what would be the best method of action in getting this rectified? I sincerely doubt calling customer support will be of any use since they will just tell me to fill out the irrelevant guide correction form on the web site.

3. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Reboot your TiVo. Past recording won't get SM, but hopefully future recordings do.

4. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    This isn't a "reboot to fix" type of problem. Every other station works fine. The skip markings/sounds are just not there for any of the CBS shows but . Also, due to a crashy TiVo app, I did reboot and it made no difference. It is as if the guide is applying the label but the team responsible for CBS is not putting in the markers.

5. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN

Advertisements

Heard skip is tied in with closed captions. Maybe it’s a local station problem. Do you have closed captions on your CBS channel?

6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I've experienced the same problem from time to time.
    Call tivo to let them know you're having this problem.

7. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, CC work just fine. It's an O & O station, so it's unlikely to be an issue with WCBS.

8. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Well ... that's worked for me in the past. Maybe not immediately but within a couple of days. And yes, this was the same issue with CBS.

9. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    We get WCBS, but we don’t watch anything on that channel.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I think the only CBS show that we watch is Young Sheldon and no issues here with SM on any of this season's episodes.

Scott

11. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    It still seems to be an issue only with WCBS here in the NYC metro area. All of the other stations and recordings that have a "skip" label work as intended.

12. Steve

Steve TiVowner since 1999

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    FWIW, I’m an Optimum customer in lower Westchester and all my CBS prime time shows are skipping as expected. We record about 8 shows each week.

13. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Since other people aren't seeing the same problem, the skip-mode data is probably okay. It's all based on closed captions, so I'd guess that something at WCBS is to blame somehow.

14. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just tuned to WCBS and the closed captions are fine. I'm perplexed since others with other providers in the NY metro aren't having this problem.

15. Diana Collins

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    I recorded ‘Bull’ on WCBS (we are on FiOS) last night and just checked skip in it, and it worked perfectly. It auto-skipped as soon as playback started to the beginning of the show, and manual skip worked in both directions as well. The skip data is there...the problem is at your end.

I hate to state the obvious, but have you tried a reboot?

16. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have without success. Who is your provider, is it FiOS by any chance?

17. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I've had incidents where in the 'NPL' - 'SM' is noted and works, BUT the 'PROMPT -TOP OF SCREEN' isn't always present. Commercial starts 'SKIP works'. This is with TE3 - Roamio and Xfinity. That's something that seems to be more frequent than I would have expected. If it's in the NPL - I'd expect it to work! I don't keep notes regarding which or when. Those who comment regarding missing are 'missing in NPL or what?

18. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    Sorry, I was slow to notice this thread. I frequently get it too. On CBS, the SKIP icon is random variable completely unrelated to whether skip will work. I have even had cases where the SKIP icon is not present, but SKIP works (that's quite rare). If the SKIP icon is present, it is about 50/50 whether it works on CBS. I'm in the Detroit market and the Detroit CBS station is also O&O. I have no idea whether that is a factor, but I noticed we have it in common.

19. Diana Collins

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    So, yup.

20. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oops. Sorry, I missed that. This is why you shouldn't multitask when reading this forum.