CBS Reality Shows (Big Brother, Survivor, Amazing Race)...

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by Taco Corp, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Just thought I'd pass along the response I got from TiVo regarding the OnePass situation and CBS reality shows. I've written to TiVo (to complain about the uselessness of the OP's) before the most recent seasons of TAR and BB. Here's what they had to say...

The response is pretty laughable, considering OP's used to work the way they were supposed to, and have only started to require a new one to be set for every season, just recently. For a time I was starting to think it was because of CBS using different cover art for every new season. But it looks like it may go a bit deeper than that.

Guess it's time to write (and complain) to CBS (if I can figure out which inbox to direct that ire).

mrsean likes this.
  2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    That seems weird to me, too.

Gotham renamed its show every season and still worked for a OnePass.

-KP

3. Toni

Toni Active Member

Nov 22, 2002
    CBS tends to theme their reality shows every season, and rename them accordingly - at least Survivor renames them, BB and Amazing Race only have a few times. But since it's only happening with CBS shows, it makes sense to me that the problem originates with their data.

We're about to cut the cord and are going with YouTube TV and CBS All Access, so I'll be curious to see if the shows have the same issue recording on those platforms.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Yep, that was one of the things that had me confused as well. I couldn't understand why Gotham/FOX could figure it out, but not CBS (and/or TiVo).

But as pointed out by @kpeters59, Gotham (and probably a few other shows) was able to add a theme to each of its seasons and still have it get picked up by the same OP. Also, Survivor has been switching the sub-name of their seasons since the very first one (Survivor: Amazon, Survivor: Pearl Islands, etc etc) and it's only been within the last couple years that the OP's got really flaky for those. I have no idea why TAR and BB don't get picked up every season. There should be no excuse there.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    mrsean likes this.
  5. Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Until I can find an alternative contact, I'm going to complain to CBS via this email form (in case anyone else would like to pile on).

6. Taco Corp

Taco Corp Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Got a random email from Tivo support, in reply to what (I believe) may have been a complaint I submitted back in Sept (way to be on the ball, Tivo support). It was over the whole Survivor OnePass mixup where they had episode one and two being picked up by two different OPs.

The response pretty much blames CBS (same as the other email in the original post, above)...
    I dunno. The whole "cast changes with every season" argument doesn't really float... since Dancing With The Stars (and other shows) have different casts every season, and they all seem to figure out how to make it work.

I can maybe see why Survivor might need the separation, since it's almost an entirely different game from one to the next, but Amazing Race and Big Brother are fairly consistent with what each season is about. Obviously BB:Celeb should get it's own OP, but the rest should collect under one.

Bottom line, it looks like CBS is the cause of this. And I, for one, will start focusing my complaints towards them (at this feedback form, I guess??) instead of Tivo. I'm determined to keep b*tching until this gets fixed. I might even write my Congressmen, the BBB, and the Pope. Harrumph!

7. Toni

Toni Active Member

Nov 22, 2002
    We signed up for YouTube TV not too long ago, and they seem to have zero issue with adding seasons of BB and Survivor to your already-added-passes despite cast/thematic changes. I really can't see why this is such a difficult thing for TiVo to figure out.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's strange. I just received a closure response from a lineup request from September too. Perhaps the person in charge of our requests quit and someone was cleaning out their desk.

9. Toni

Toni Active Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Probably wrapping up old tickets in prep for the company merger.

10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i was browsing open tickets for my account last week, noticed 3 lineup tickets were still opened, so i added a note the issues were resolved and the tickets could be closed - they were all closed the next day. ;)