CBS can contact you when the NFL delays your Sunday shows

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by Schmye Bubbula, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula Member

Oct 14, 2004

Advertisements

You can get precise starting times via "CBS Eye-lerts":

http://www.cbs.com/eye-lerts/

(email or cell phone)

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    maybe they can work a deal with tivo so that they send info to your tivo directly to address such things.

3. TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA
    Nice find as that is helpful - now if CBS can only begin providing a real time feed or at least batched every hour to Tivo, so our boxes can be auto-updated each hour as they check in.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I've noticed for a while now the info screen on shows in now playing lists has a spot that says "extended?:" and it always says No. I'm guessing that's for some future feature where the broadcaster could tell tivo something (like a sporting event) is going long and they can add on extra minutes in real time?

With the S3's, at least, the mother ship knows our Todo list. So CBS could just say "hey tivo, anyone with the jets game or 60 minutes better get 15 minutes added" and tivo could check their data and they could sent something down to boxes that need it sort of like when you scheule something online.

5. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA

Advertisements

Could it have something to do with the message that pops up when you schedule a live event without padding? (It asks you whether or not you want to pad; the default padding value is 1 hour.)

Also, is it even possible to extend a recording that way? I thought the reason you had to specify an ending time was so TiVo could set aside disk space in advance. Shortening an episode is simple enough (similar to what happens when you press the record button when the "active" tuner is being recorded), but what about lengthening it?

-- Don

6. Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, I received my "CBS Eye-lert" email Sunday night.
    The header showed that it was emailed at 7:08:52 PM EDT, but not only was that after-the-fact, I didn't receive it until three hours later! Maybe the thousands of sent emails got hung in the CBS email server's queue before they actually went out. I know that other emails from other websites, such as authentication emails for new forum sign-ups, or sales order confirmations, almost always arrive to me within less than a minute after their time-stamp. In any event, the CBS Eye-lert looks like it's not going to be useful. (In retrospect, I guess CBS can't predict in advance how long a game run-over will be.)

7. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    It sounds like some kind of glitch as far as you receiving it 3 hours later, but I'm not sure what you mean by the "after-the-fact" part. I didn't have a late CBS game on my local CBS affiliate (D.C.) so I wasn't paying close attention to when the games ended. But regardless, it sounds like you have a complaint not only about the delay in receiving it (which makes sense), but when they sent it as well? Given that there would be no need for alert until after 7:00, and that it was sent at 7:08, that's only an 8-minute window. Am I totally missing something here? You said "EDT" so I'm guessing it's not a time-zone issue.

I'm thinking of signing up for this even though the 1-hour pad solution on Cold Case works perfectly well for me. But I do like to either shorten my pad if 1/2 hour is sufficient, or, since we're typically several weeks behind, in the event of a full hour overrun and the episode is bumped like last week, I needed to add the episode manually last night.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    nope it doesn't matter if you pad live events- i checked my sports recordings that i pad and it's always negative.

you can extend a recording while it's in progress by manually going to the recording- you just go in and change the options for extending while it's currently running.

But i can see a usability reason NOT TO allow CBS to send an extend bit- it could cause unexpected consequences if people didn't realize that a recording might extend itself. There would need to be yet another option for "extend if needed" or something like that.

9. tbb1226

tbb1226 TiVo Junkie

Sep 16, 2004
    Royal Oak, MI
    I tried to set up the mobile alert, and it failed. The prompt came up telling me that a text was sent to my phone and I needed to enter the validation code in order to enable the alerts.

Well, I never did receive any text message, and now three days later, if I go back to the web site and attempt to sign up for mobile alerts, it still wants me to enter that validation code that I never received.

Anybody successfully signed up for text alerts?

10. km

km Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Atlanta....
    I had the same problem with email alerts. I never got mail with a PIN, and get caught in the request for PIN when I login.

I tried submitting a support request through the website. There was no applicable category so I forced it through some unrelated category. I got an automated confirmation email, but nothing beyond that in three days.

11. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I've signed up 3 different times, and all three times it didn't send me the validation code.

flakey site

12. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    You can change the recording options on a recording in progress. I've added time to 60 Minutes while it's being recorded many times.

13. jayfest

jayfest Not-so-New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    New Jersey
    ...but not always if it's within a minute or so of the end of the recording. Last Sunday I noticed that Bored To Death was not starting until 9:35 and the ending was going to be chopped off at 10:01 because I was recording Mad Men at 9:59 and Brothers and Sisters at 10:01. I found another showing of Mad Men to record instead and switched it, but by the time I went back to make sure Bored To Death would finish, it was 10:00 already and it stopped at 10:01 anyway, even though there was now only one other show recording at that point. Sometimes these things take a minute or two to show up on the TDL, so you have to make your changes before that last minute or two.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

correct me if I'm wrong- so you didn't actually change Bored To Death- you just changed something else and were relying on the scheduler to notice and extend Bored?

That can take some time.

But if you manually wnet into Bored to Death and say padded a minute at the end it would have forced the Scheduler right then and there and added on the extra time.

So any automated implementation tivo would make (if they ever did) would need to force the scheduler to run right then and there.

15. jayfest

jayfest Not-so-New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    New Jersey
    But it wouldn't even let me pad the ending of Bored To Death because when I went to the Options page it still said "will be clipped". You're right, this isn't exactly the same case, but I'm just pointing out that sometimes these things take a minute or two to register.

16. Syzygy

Syzygy New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    I wish Fox would do the same as CBS when its b-ball & f-ball games run over. They could call it Red Alert to honor FNC's political philosophy. ;)

17. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Because of the way things are scheduled, Fox's baseball and football games run over into a postgame show, or into local news, or into a rerun of "The Simpsons" -- they don't cause new episodes of their entire prime-time programming slate to have their start times slid back, which is what happens on CBS.

18. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    It does happen, just not as regularly as it does on CBS. House and Lie To me were delayed a couple weeks ago when the Yankees-Angels game 3 went into extra innings. And I think about once a season on average, one of Fox's late games goes into OT or just runs long enough to push the start of the Simpsons (regular first-run Sunday night episodes) back a few minutes. Even if the game ends a little before 8:00, they'll still run at least a few minutes of wrap-up talk.

Still, it's probably not often enough to bother setting up something like CBS has. I can't remember the last time a late game on CBS didn't run past 7:00 eastern time. Maybe a 4:05 regional coverage game, but not when they have a national 4:15 game, especially multiple games in which case they'll keep switching until the last one's over.

19. Syzygy

Syzygy New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    I lost the "Honey" ep of Lie to Me because a baseball playoff game ran 42 minutes long. (No sense watching only the first 18 minutes of a mystery.)

I set up a special Autorecord: AALL Lie to Me Honey TTITLE

20. Syzygy

Syzygy New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    All of which just makes CBS's scheduling honcho look really stubborn/arrogant/stupid. IMO. ;) Just shift 60 Minutes forward in the schedule!