CBS: All Access announces Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JYoung, May 15, 2020.

1. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Coming to CBS All Access

A mixed bag for me here.
    I really liked Mount as Pike and Romjin as Number One (even though they dumbed her down some).
    Peck is ookkkkkaaayyy as Spock.

But Discovery really crashed and burned IMO in the end of the second season so I'm still withholding judgement on the writing team.
    (Are Manny Coto and the Reeves-Stevens available?)

2. jasrub

jasrub Member

May 9, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I'll probably watch it, but my main issue is, why can't Trek writers get past the Voyager/TNG movie timeline? All they keep doing is writing things for times we've already seen. Is their imagination so limited now they can't conceive of even newer tech? One of the reasons people loved TOS was it showed tech that wasn't even a glimmer in people's mind at the time.

Yes, I know that Picard is 20 years past the last TNG movie, but let's get a Trek that's 100-200 years past that. Show us things that WE can't even imagine based on today's tech. Wow us like the people in the 60's were wowed by TOS...

stellie93 likes this.
  3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Season 3 of Discovery is gonna be like 900 years post-TOS.

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Exactly. Discovery was basically erased from the same time period as the other shows and was transported to a completely different timeline. It would seem that the writers had the same notion to come up with something fresher and newer. Whether they manage to do that is still up in the air. I'll watch it regardless simply because it's Star Trek. The production values have improved dramatically ever since CBS All Access started streaming them. The advancements in CGI has made it possible for TV shows to exceed the special effects and visualizations of even some of the best earlier movie releases.

I'm glad to hear that they're doing the spin-off with Anson Mount. I enjoyed him as Captain Pike. It's definitely a much better role for him than playing Black Bolt in the godawful Inhumans. I also liked him in Hell on Wheels. I just checked his bio and he has done a crapload of shows and movies that I was never aware of.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  5. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I'm in, but I hope its more episodic with content in each episode instead of a season long arc with a rushed ending.

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I'll definitely watch it. I really like the Captain Pike character. And I don't mind some backstory.

7. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    I think Discovery tried doing that with the spore drive, time crystals, and Control.

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I'm in...Anson Mount is an incredible actor. Very underrated.

UTV2TiVo, LlamaLarry and stellie93 like this.
  9. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    vertigo235, Mikeguy and jasrub like this.