1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cause for TiVo box changing each tuner to the same station overnight?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mikeguy, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Nov 5, 2018 #1 of 19
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Woke up this morning to find that my Bolt box had changed each tuner to the same station overnight. As far as I can tell, nothing monumental occurred overnight--while the box downloaded program data, I'm not aware of new software having come down the pike, which might require a box restart.

Any idea why the box would do this? No issue here, I'm just curious. Thanks--

2. Nov 5, 2018 #2 of 19
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It had rebooted itself, whether its an update or some problem. Spontaneous reboots is not impossible.

3. Nov 5, 2018 #3 of 19
    jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Here the usual reason is a momentary loss of power, typically an auto accident hitting a power pole, takes a second or two to reroute power.

4. Nov 5, 2018 #4 of 19
    CinciDVR

CinciDVR Contentious Member

May 24, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    If you look in the system diagnostics and see that all the tuners have been tuned for exactly the same number of seconds, it pretty much tells you that the box rebooted. Of course you've probably changed some tuners and can't do that now. In that case, you could always look at the Tivo log to see when it rebooted.

5. Nov 5, 2018 #5 of 19
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it has a Motorola M-card, check its status for Uptime:
    ccStatus.JPG
    If it's a Sa/Cisco card, you can check the Diagnostics for Time Since OOB Tune Start (near the end). If the clock on your microwave is wrong, buy a UPS.

6. Nov 5, 2018 #6 of 19
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    On OTA, and so no card to check.

I assumed a re-boot, but I doubt for a house-wide, or room-wide, power outage--my laptop in the room was not affected (although is not on the same room outlet).

I've rarely seen this--perhaps something happened internally in the box and the box simply felt that it needed to re-boot to clear the issue. The only thing I could think to check was the System Info. screen, and I didn't see anything amiss there (granted, I wouldn't know what to look for, lol).

7. Nov 5, 2018 #7 of 19
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Spontaneous reboots were more common in past years. I get maybe one a year or less. One way is to hit the remote and nothing happens. That would make most users hit more keys. I found that if it stops responding, that a HDUI Reset works instead.

My standard procedure is that on the last day of the month I reset everything. It only takes a few minutes and it's mostly putting stuff in Standby then killing the UPS. I also have a chance to clean stuff and reset the HDMI connections. The downside: I can't relate to members with unstable systems. :)

8. Nov 5, 2018 #8 of 19
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Spontaneous ComBOLTion.

9. Nov 5, 2018 #9 of 19
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I had a spontaneous reboot a few weeks ago when I pressed a remote key and nothing happened, and so I pressed others and the box re-booted--I think that it was all the keypresses.

What was odd here, is that it was overnight, when nothing special was happening (including no recordings being made). Perhaps the program data hookup and download just triggered a need for a "rest break."

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If it's a laptop, how would you know unless there was a very long power outage (long enough to drain the battery). :)

Scott

Leo_N likes this.
  11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, now, that could be true. I just didn't see any sign of the power having gone out, including an electric clock in the room, and there was nothing special in the weather.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Cosmic rays.

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    My backup theory for most electronics. Amazing to me how much trust is placed in them, when they will do things that we have no idea about. And we're only at the beginning.

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If you wake up invisible, can stretch your arm across the room, on fire or built like a pile of rocks, then cosmic rays are the answer for sure.

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Despite the chorus of "reboot" it is not necessarily that, and in your case, sounds like it's not. Years ago, I noticed the sams behavior on my Roamio Plus and briefly tried to track/diagnose it, but lost interest. There may even be a few posts in the forum on my observations.

And before I get more "reboots" from the gallery, during my diagnostic attempts, I clearly documented via the TiVo Diagnostics that all tuners slowly moved towards the same channel. The "last tune" time was different for all tuners, yet they were all on the same channel. I may have referred to it as "tuner drift" in any past posts on the matter.

Mikeguy likes this.
  16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    There is far more evidence given of a spontaneous reboot which is a common occurrence, than your theory of tuner drift.

17. Rey

Rey Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    Is it normal whenever I've had all 6 tuners on the same channel to have constant audio/video drops? Once I start changing the channels on each tuner this goes away. I've always seen this since I bought my roamio pro a few years ago.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Why/how do you have all tuners on the same channel? If you are removing power or performing a restart, there will be a service connection made within 30 minutes. Do you have suggestions enabled?

19. Rey

Rey Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    Whenever I start to see video and audio glitches I immediately suspect there was probably a brief electrical outage or something else that caused a reboot. Suggestions are off. My question was has anyone ever heard of video/audio dropouts when all 6 tuners are on the same channel.