Catch-22

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, May 18, 2019.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007

Advertisements

One ep in, thought it was meh. I'm a big Clooney fan, he's made a lot of good flicks. I think Michael Clayton is a masterpiece, Three Kings one of the best war flicks I've seen and he's also made some darn good thrillers and comedies. So far, in this adaptation of a great book, the satire falls flat. Maybe this is one of those books that just doesn't adapt well to the screen (I thought the movie sucked). I'll definitely give it another ep or two to see if it improves, hope so.

2. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Review: From George Clooney and Hulu, ‘Catch-22,’ With a Catch

The result is that nearly all of Heller’s humor, in both its corrosively satirical and impishly vaudevillian modes, is lost. (Some new scenes, like the suturing of Yossarian’s scrotum by a country doctor, go for easy laughs.) Without it, the antiwar and anti-authoritarian themes don’t register with any real force. Apparently the Catch-22 of “Catch-22” is that to put it onscreen, you have to eviscerate it.

3. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I've seen only seen the first episode so far, but I found it entertaining.

I've been a fan of the book for decades, after choosing it to read for a book report in high school. I've reread it more than once, appreciating it anew each time. While the movie with Alan Arkin was ok, it never really captured the vibe of the book for me. I often laughed out loud while reading Catch-22, but never once while watching the movie.

Watching the first episode of this incarnation, I laughed aloud several times, my wife looking at me like I was nuts. It resonated with me in a way that felt familiar, so I'll keep watching. Maybe the first episode was a fluke, but I hope not.

4. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Been a loooong time since I read the book.
    Re-reading it now, then I'll watch the Hulu adaptation.

5. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon

Advertisements

I was excited to hear about the series because I liked the book and the movie. I didn’t finish episode 2 before I gave up on it.

6. KRS

KRS Mmm...invisible cola

Jan 30, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Oh dear. I was hoping that the early feedback here would be more positive.

I read the book because I would always see it mentioned on people's lists of top books. I liked it for the subtle humor and characters. Reminded me a little of Vonnegut.
    Not long after reading it, I watched the movie and was not very impressed. Things were changed or left out, and I didn't feel like the movie really captured the dark humor very well. My wife, who has not read the book, bailed on watching the movie with me after just a few scenes. One of her main objections was the audio - there were numerous scenes where the dialogue was difficult to hear over the loud plane engine noises.

I had hoped that having a longer format than a film would be a benefit, but it sounds like it misses the mark.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I read the book, several times actually, and really loved it. The movie was not able to capture the full effect of the book, like most of these transitions. But I watched all 6 episodes of the series, and while not up to the book either, it did keep me interested and smiling.
    I suspect folks without a military experience might not find any of the "Catch 22" efforts quite as humorous as I though.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I think if one didn't read the book, the movie and perhaps now the series wouldn't be very appealing.

I loved the book- it's still one of my favorite reads ever- and I so looked forward to the movie and was disappointed.

I've seen the first two eps of the series and I really like the first, but the second seemed to be too repetitious. I hope the remaining eps are better.

9. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I never read the book. I've never seen the movie. I watched the first episode and was left with mixed feelings. I really didn't know if I was supposed to laugh at or be horrified by this guy's experiences. i guess that's what dark humor is all about. Without the book to compare it to, the episode did a pretty good job explaining this guy's dilemma. I can't say I enjoyed it all that much, but it did hit me emotionally. I'll continue watching.

10. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I too have note read the book or seen the movie. I really enjoyed the series though. I liked some of the dialog like:

The dr explaining catch-22 or Major Major explaining his name.

11. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    FYI, Amazon Prime has the 1970 Mike Nichols Catch-22 in rotation this month. It hasn't aged well for me- I see it now a movie studio's competing answer to 20CFox's M*A*S*H by Robert Altman.

12. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I guess I'm alone in this...I read the book and liked the series!

I recall watching the Alan Arkin movie, but I don't remember anything about it or even if I like it or not.

I was hoping the series would end better - some stupid hollywood ending or something - but otherwise enjoyed it.

13. hapster85

Sep 7, 2016
    I've watched 3 episodes so far. Definitely enjoying it, and reminded of why I enjoy the book so much.

14. Mabes

Mabes Ex-Smoker

Jan 12, 2001
    Warwick RI
    I have the opposite feeling. I've watched 5 EPS and I'm enjoying it but once I'm done I'll forget about it. I first saw the movie last year, I had the DVD for a long time but never got around to watching it. Watched it a couple of times about a year ago and have watched it a couple of times since. I love it, so many quotable lines. It got mixed reviews at the time, I think the NY Times called it the best movie of the year but Ebert didn't like it. He said the first half was all comedy and farce and then it got too serious. As I recall, so did the book. And it's a war movie, it should get serious.

One reason the series doesn't live up to the movie is there is no Alan Arkin, Jon Voight, Bob Newhart etc.

I've watched 5 EPs so far, and so far there is nothing about Snowden on the plane. Does it come in the last EP; might be a good idea if it doesn't, it could not live up to the flashbacks in the movie.

15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Just recently finished re-reading, and will watch e1 of the series tonight.
    Watched the Movie a few days ago (saw it when released, but long forgotten) , and while not up to the book, wow, what a cast in the Movie.

16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Halfway into e3.
    Not sure about Spoilers here so...
    The’ Hulu episodes are showing Yosarian more of a coward than described in the book (or the movie). In the book, Yosarian moving the bomb line at Bolognia leaves what happened to Major —— de Coverley somewhat his fault (as he always wanted to march into captured territory as the hero), but Hulu puts his blood on Yosarian's hands.

In the book Colonel Cathcart keepz increasing the missions for his own desire for glory, but Hulu depicts it as retribution for Major —— de Coverley

Also, while Yosarian is called YoYo in a chapter in the book (and IIRC never in the movie), his always being called YoYo here is a bit disconcerting.

17. hapster85

Sep 7, 2016
    Yeah, the YoYo thing got old after a while.

I never felt Yosarian was motivated by cowardice, in the novel or here.

18. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I don't feel that Yosarian was motivated by cowardice either, however it looks like Hulu is doing so in E3 (I'm only up to this episode).

19. hapster85

Sep 7, 2016
    I binged them over just a few nights, so I don't remember what happened in any particular episode. I'll have to watch it again sometime.

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    E4
    Poor Nately -- three different deaths (Book->Movie->Hulu)