1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castle Rock *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Tony_T, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Anyone watch Castle Rock (Hulu)
    I'm up to Ep3
    Pretty good.

2. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    What’s it about?

3. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    It loosely ties together a bunch of Stephen King stories, which frequently took place in a town called Castle Rock or other nearby small towns in Maine. It's not directly adapted from any of King's stories but it does have his blessing (he's an Executive Producer).

There are also frequent references to things from various King stories: One of the characters is the niece of Jack Torrance from The Shining; much of the storyline takes place in and around Shawshank Prison; someone mentions the time a rabid dog terrorized the town (Cujo); and there's also a reference to the summer that a dead body was found by the train tracks (Stand By Me/The Body). There are also cast members who have previously appeared in other King adaptations such as Sissy Spacek (Carrie) and Bill Skarsgard (IT).

As to the premise of the show, the town of Castle Rock has a long, weird history of crazy and horrific events taking place in the town. Then, about 25-30 years ago, those weird things stopped happening.

In the first episode, the warden of Shawshank Prison kills himself and it's discovered that for the last couple of decades, he has kept a young man in a cage in a decommissioned part of the prison. Before he kills himself, the Warden tells the kid that he's sorry and tells him to ask to speak to a lawyer, and gives him the name to ask for. It turns out that the lawyer is a man who grew up in Castle Rock but now lives in Texas working with death row inmates. The lawyer has his own weird history in the town because when he was a young boy, he disappeared one winter. His father fell ill while searching for him and eventually died from the illness. After everyone had given up hope, he was found alive and well, with no memory of where he was while he was missing.

Once the kid is released from the cage, he starts interacting with people and weird things seem to start happening again. The warden believed that the kid was the cause or source of the problems in the town -- maybe he was right.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I am watching and was loving it.
    Until this past week's episode when it went all David Lynch on us.
    The cast is great.

5. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Can the show be enjoyed even if you haven't read a lot of King books? I've read some, but that was decades ago.

6. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Absolutely!!!

Tony_T likes this.
  7. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Just caught up to ep6
    I enjoyed this ep. (I like Lynch :))

8. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I've seen a few comments online from critics that this week's episode is the best of the bunch, with an especially great performance from Spacek.

9. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    How scary is the show? My wife is a huge Stephen King fan and has read many of his books, but she doesn't like movies or TV shows that are too scary.

10. ACoolDude

ACoolDude Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Pittsburgh,...
    It is mostly drama/mystery more than horror. There are only a couple horror movie, person jumps out of a dark area, kind of moments so far (up to ep6)

So far, loving it though. Best King based TV in a while.

11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
  12. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    ep7 (The Queen) - great episode.
    I really like the cast, good to see that its already been renewed for a second season.

13. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    That was one of the best episodes not just of this show but many. It was as good as any of the top shows, Westworld type goodness. Fantastic acting by Sissy Spacek.

14. unixadm

unixadm Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Jan 1, 2001
    Georgia, USA
    I will have to check this out.....my 16 and 17 year old sons will love it. They are huge fans of The Shining and the Shawshank Redemption

15. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    I did not like this episode. Felt it was a filler to get to the next episode.

16. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Carrie slow dancing with Pennywise.

17. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I didn't think it was a filler episode - I found it really interesting to see how Sissy Spacek's character was seeing everything that has happened so far.

Plus - it's Sissy ******* Spacek starring in her own episode!!!!
    What's not to marvel at? She is fantastic.

Tony_T, getbak and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  18. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm enjoying it quite a bit. But is it as straightforward as it appears (i.e. "the kid" is Evil Incarnate) or are we in for a twist? In the one hand I'd like a twist, on the other, I quite enjoyed American Gothic (Sheriff Buck, "Someone's at the door..." and so on).

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Whoa.

Whoa!

20. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA