Castle 2/20/12 "Linchpin"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dcheesi, Feb 21, 2012.

1. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Just had to start an episode thread to say two things:

1) Another two-part save the world from terror plot ...err, plot? Really!?

2) AUGGH! That "girl-talk" speech was nothing but a ploy to introduce another excuse for them to not get together... :mad: (Though at least this one was sort of honest about why they keep avoiding it)

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    let me add in "law of unnecessary guest stars" pretty much gave away who the killer was, DAMN I hate that.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    All I want to say is: that string thing? Heroes did it first. :D

4. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I didn't see it that way. Because of her past history w/Castle, she could have been a recurring character.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I sort of agree with the other person.

This is one of the few times where it actually DID succeed at getting me.. In retrospect, yeah, I should have known. I did think she might be a recurring character though.

Just like Adam Savage's retweet, the car underwater part made me think of Mythbusters a lot.

6. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I groaned when she said "maybe the frame's bent". Those Castle writers need to watch Mythbusters! Castle should have been like, "I saw this on Mythbusters!"

And Becket's a lightweight when it comes to holding one's breath.

7. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I had the same reaction.

Why do TV writers find it so difficult to write interesting stories about men and women who are seeing each other after they have written about the pair not being together for a while?

There are plenty of good TV shows and movies about couples. There was even a great series of old movies (30's) about a married detective duo (Thin Man).

So what are the Castle writers afraid of? They can only write about single people?

8. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    They are afraid of being Moonlighting, which lost it all the very minute David and Maddie got together. All the magic was gone out of the show. It gets referenced rather frequently when people talk about these sorts of shows built on this sort of tension. Google "moonlighting curse" and you'll find lots of discussion about it, including this article from last year:

http://www.wetpaint.com/castle/articles/5-ways-castle-can-avoid-the-moonlighting-curse

9. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    No need to google it, I am familiar with it. But that is not a good reason, it is more like superstition. So ML writers failed to write a good story after the two got together. That hardly proves that no one can!

10. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I was hoping to be proven wrong, really I was, but the fact that it's become such a trope isn't fun anymore, let the guest star NOT be the killer/villain and I'll be more impressed.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Dana Delaney wasn't the killer was she?

12. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Yeah, on some series that I like, it seemed like even with lead characters, they can have them hook up and resolve the will they or won't they, but that doesn't necessarily mean they stay together and there are other stories. Though I guess I'm thinking of sitcoms like:
    Scrubs - JD and Elliot once per season
    Big Bang Theory - Leonard and Penny

I could swear there was an hour long light drama, but I can't think of it off hand.

13. Linnemir

Linnemir Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Have to admit that I was disappointed with the whole darn thing from start to finish. As stated many times before, there's no suspense when the cliff-hanger part is whether the two main characters survive.

Sophia didn't grab me as an interesting character. I much preferred Dana Delany's.

The only intriguing thing about it was Sophia mentioning Castle's father - and that's got about a 50-50 chance of being a red herring or dead end. I often wondered if the reason his mother never told him his father's name was that she wasn't sure who it was - she was a pretty hot number, after all ...

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Bones - Brennan and Booth

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    well I did say guest *star* not "guest who has nothing but failed shows in their wake"
    :) but that was one of the exceptions, agreed.

16. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, when that scene was happening, I said something like this to the wife: Oh well, series over, let me cancel the recording.

17. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Well, that article says that, too, but I think they are wrong. There's been no tension in that show for a while now. They aren't affected by the Moonlighting curse because the show has already fallen so far that nobody cares. My season pass has been on the verge of being cancelled for years now, only hanging on due to inertia.

In fact, I would argue that they HAVE fallen to the Moonlighting curse in that the show is nowhere near as interesting now that that dynamic is gone.

18. lambertman

lambertman LIVE! On tape

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    BJ and the Bear?

19. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Ok episode and the twist did get me.

What stinks about these whole cliffhanger deals these days is the network ends episode one with (in this case) the two main leads in a dire, near death, situation...you're supposed to think "OMG!! Will one of them die!?"

Then 2 minutes later you are presented with:

"On the next episode of Castle"...and they proceed to show that the main characters who were in trouble are just fine and going about their business like nothing happened. Sheesh.

Oh and as for the car sinking thing...geez..they made it look like they were sinking 1000's of feet into the ocean depths and some of the camera angles made you think, how can any human even get to the surface at this point since they've been holding their breath IN the car for like 2 minutes already.

20. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What do the previews have to do with anything? Even if you didn't see the previews, did you really think that they were going to kill off Castle? From Castle? Now if it were the new police chief, then you might have a point...