Casey Anthony trial on TruTv and HLN

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Jun 26, 2011.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I'm obsessed with this trial. The fascinating thing to me is the psychology of this family.
    I have always thought Casey was guilty but I am beginning to think there is something to the defense theory. There is real dysfunction in this family. I have always felt there was something really "off" about Cindy (the grandmother).

If Cindy was constantly making Casey feel she was an unfit mother and then Caylee accidently drowned, could Casey be messed up enough to want to ignore the problem and just go on about her life and lies? Casey was a liar before Caylee died. She made up a network friends and their detailed backstories, she claimed to have a job she didn't have, and she told a couple of different versions of the story of Caylee's father.

She is certainly capable of sticking her head in the sand, or as the psychologists say, she can dissociate.

Anyone want to discuss?

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
  3. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    It appears a lot of people who comment in the other thread don't watch actual testimony and evidence.

4. ebockelman

ebockelman PR#6

Jul 12, 2001
    Orlando,...
    Why? Because they don't agree with you? I've watched a lot of the trial coverage, and I don't agree with your position either.

5. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Nah, it defies belief, IMO. Others are sexually abused, physically abused, and emotionally abused. Others come from lousy or highly-dysfunctional families. Many families kept secrets. People who have lived through war, torture, imprisonment any forms of "not normal" (of course, what is normal--I believe dysfunctional is normal) and have arranged NOT to murder people, let alone their own child. Dysfunction isn't an excuse.

Anyone who had lost a child would be too devastated to get sexy and party and forget to mention it to anyone.

Of course, your opinion is valuable. The jury is made of diverse opinions and I'm sure there's a juror or so who shares your viewpoint. That's what the defense is counting on.

And ebockelman, you're right in the middle of it--but the jury comes from my county. I'm not sure what sort of verdict they'll return.

6. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Oh yes, further, I think CNN is totally sensationalizing everything and taking much out-of-context to form a pretext. Their job is to get people involved and watching, they are not presenting "truth" just sensationalism. I see the case, then I see what they emphasize. They don't always mesh, IMO.

As for the recess, I'll bet it's about the Prosecution and telephone records (the detective seemed to slip and say they had subpoenaed everyone's phone records) or about the guy who was supposedly not permitted, by his fed bosses, to testify.

7. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think that happy hour (ironic as the name may be in this case) is the proper location for discussing this. It's not a TV show, as much as HLN and TruTV might want to be portraying it as such.

8. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Whatever the recess is about, it had to be a really big deal for this judge to waste a whole day of testimony when witnesses were present. He specifically said it did not have to do with the FBI witness whose bosses threatened to fire him. I also thought it might be a Brady issue concerning Kronk's phone records. I bet detective Melich is kicking himself!!!

9. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    What is a Brady issue?

10. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    The Brady rule says that if the State has exculpatory evidence (evidence that points to the defendant being not-guilty) they have to give that evidence to the defense. A Brady violation could lead to a mistrial. A mistrial with prejudice would mean she cannot be retried.

11. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    FYP. :)

12. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    Did you all see the young spectator give the Finger to the prosecutor? It was probably a dare from his friends.
    6 days in jail it got him!

I like this judge.

13. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Who else thinks Jeff Ashton is a dick?

14. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I weep for all of you.

15. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Agreed

16. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    Why would you see him that way?

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Whenever the defense is saying anything that he doesn't like he sits at his table and laughs like a little schoolgirl.

Then when he gets up to cross-examine anyone he comes across like a bull in a china shop.

I get he is indignant over the seriousness of the crime but he comes across like an ass.

I think the kid who gave him the finger behind his back had it right.

18. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    me

19. DJK23

DJK23 Town Tamer

Jul 24, 2010
    Southwest...
    The woman killed her daughter, it doesn't matter how screwed up her family may seem to some people. The defence is going to get her convicted.

20. avery

avery New Member

May 29, 2006
    New York