Careful not to void lifetime on series 3HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Nicosia, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Jun 3, 2015 #1 of 12
    Nicosia

Nicosia New Member

May 27, 2015
    My Series 3 HD had pixilated pictures on all channels. It also has swollen capacitors on the power board. When the cable company tried to troubleshoot the problem with new cable cards then TIVO Central could no longer activate the unit. Cable guy said he thinks the tuners are bad because he can't get it to "Pair". With all these problems going on, I am wondering if I could purchase an identical model off eBay, then have a local electronics shop swap out as many parts as possible i.e. Tuners, power supply, etc. This may get the unit going but will it void my lifetime service agreement? Any direction is appreciated.

2. Jun 3, 2015 #2 of 12
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I am sure it would be less expensive to buy a used TiVoHD with lifetime than buy a parts machine and pay a local electronics shop to repair your TiVoHD if you can even find one that would attempt the fix. Some technically savvy friend might be willing to attempt the fix by replacing or repairing the power supply.

Replacing the power supply will not void the lifetime service.

3. Jun 3, 2015 #3 of 12
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Fix the power supply first.
    I repaired the PS in my S3, cost is less than $20
    Even if you have to take the power supply to to a electronics repair shop, shouldn't be more than $50.

I think there is a guy on this forum that does PS repairs.

4. Jun 3, 2015 #4 of 12
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    If I'm not mistaken, lifetime is really lifetime of the motherboard or the chip on the motherboard with the proper code. As long as that works your TiVo is good.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Jun 4, 2015 #5 of 12
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Lifetime is tied to the TiVo Service Number, which is on a chip on the motherboard.

Up through the original S3, the TCD648250, it was contained in a stand-alone chip by Atmel called a crypto chip.

Someone with Surface Mount Device unsoldering and soldering experience could move it from a problem motherboard to another motherboard of the same model and as far as the TiVo servers (and the hard drive in the TiVo with the problem motherboard) know, it's the same lifetimed TiVo.

Beginning with the next Series 3 platform models, the HD (TCD652160) and the HD XL (TCD658000), the crypto chip is incorporated into the main CPU, which is a Ball Grid Array device, which means unsoldering and resoldering is a lot trickier than with SMDs, and requires much more expensive equipment, and it's probably easier to find out and fix the motherboard's problem than to move the CPU, and I'm not sure whether there's anything else on there that would tell it that it has been "monkeyed with" or not.

6. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm interested in contacting the member that repairs power supplies for the TivoHD.

I already have mine removed and ready to send off(Tivo PN: ...00011_000 RevB0, 3Y brand).

How to contact member? Thx.

Sent from my 7040N using Tapatalk

7. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...

If you need a recap job let me know.
    Tim..

8. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I think I need a recap job on my 652160. I've been having several bulging caps for a couple of years now with no ill effects.

It finally gave up the ghost the other day. There are at least five obviously bulging caps now and it won't go past the initial welcome screen.

It has an upgraded hard drive so I tried reinstalling the virtually brand new stock tivo drive. Still the same symptoms.

So what would it cost for a total recapping(I guess all except the giant cap)?

Thx.

9. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Ps, I just remembered that talking business is not appropriate in the forums so I will have to wait until I get to a computer to properly message you. I only have use of an app on a smart phone right now for getting on the internet.

Thx.

10. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...

I will give you the info

11. ericl007

ericl007 New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Hi sorry to chime in here, but can I use a series 3 power supply to power a failed series 3-160 ?

12. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...

You can use a HD/ HDXL supply in a OLED "TCD648250B" but you can't use one from the OLED "TCD648250B" in a HD/HDXL There is a 7 volt line on the OLED that will damage the board on a HD/HDXL

Hope this helps..
    Tim