Card Reader

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rovcen, Jul 26, 2007.

1. rovcen

rovcen New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Found out today my card reader is bad in my Directv DVR R10. Anyone know can it be repaired or is the unit toast???

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You mean the access card reader? I don't think these can be "repaired" - contact DirecTV and they'll offer you a replacement box, probably an R15 (non-TiVo).

3. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Keep in mind though that if you accept a replacement box from Directv, you are most likely involuntarily signing up for a contract period of 1 or 2 years. However if you intend to stick with Directv that usually isn't a problem. However you will no longer own the box and it will need to be returned if you cancel service after your contract is up. The newer boxes also do not run the Tivo software as mentioned above.

The last time I called Directv I was able to confirm that you are eligible to receive a new basic (non-HD) box every six months for free (or it might have been $19.95) but your contract renews for 1 year. The HD boxes are $200 (or were they $299?.. I don't quite recall) and you need to sign up for 2 years.

(Not a very sound confirmation, eh? :D )

Well I DO know that the eligibility period is once every 6 months on the non-hd box. :)