Captioning censored on AMC (but shows aren't)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 21
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Watching the premier of Mad Men last week, I noticed a couple of times when a character said "damn", but the closed captioning said "d@@@". Happened at least twice.

Tonight I'm watching the first two episodes of Rubicon, and there is a 'damn' and a 'sh1t' spoken, but the captions were 'd@@@' and 's@@@'.

So either AMC is censoring the captions, or the captioner is. I doubt AMC is, since the words themselves are being spoken and heard. That leads me to believe whoever is doing the captioning is censoring the dialog for me. I find this highly offensive, and troubling. Either give me the dialog as it's spoken, or let someone else do the captioning. But don't let your personal feelings decide what I get to see. If they beep the spoken word, you can beep the captions. If they say it, you have to type it.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and there is some legit reason for this. I will be calling AMC tomorrow to see if I can talk to someone about this.

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 21
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    AMC does this with Breaking Bad as well.

Audio is not bleeped, but captions are.

Well, the really bad words are bleeped and caption edited,
    but the lesser of the bad 7 aren't bleeped but still edited captions.

phox

3. Aug 2, 2010 #3 of 21
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Been brought up on these boards several times before.

4. Aug 2, 2010 #4 of 21
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
  5. Aug 2, 2010 #5 of 21
    aaronw

aaronw Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Washington, DC

Advertisements

Apropos of nothing (and I know I'm threadjacking big time), but my favorite 'huh' moment for censoring was on the "clean" XM comedy station a couple of years ago, and they played the chris rock bit about getting one's salad tossed. Naturally, they did bleep out "*******", etc., whatever other "dirty" terms were used. However, the truly bizzare part was that they bleeped out either "salad" or "toss" (I forget which). How in the world would someone know that that phrase is "dirty" unless they had heard the routine before??!! It always stumped me.

6. Aug 2, 2010 #6 of 21
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thanks for the link to the Breaking Bad thread. I don't watch that show (have all 33 of them on the TiVo, one of these days...), but do remember reading that thread. And reread it, just now.

I'm going to write AMC and the producers, and see what kind of answer I get. I find it unacceptable that the typed word is censored, but the spoken word is not.

7. Aug 2, 2010 #7 of 21
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Ok, just sent snail mail to AMC, and an email to AMC & Lionsgate (producer of Mad Men). Had to resend the email to AMC, after a little tweaking, as the first one came back as "rejected due to inappropriate language". :D

8. Aug 2, 2010 #8 of 21
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

That right there ought to tell you something. :D

9. Aug 2, 2010 #9 of 21
    taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    I saw this same thing on another show that I watched recently - think it was The Glades on USA.

10. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I watch a few USA shows, and I'm trying to recall if there is any profanity. I'm pretty sure White Collar & Covert Affairs are 'clean'. Have to think about what else I watch on that network . . .

11. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I think Trainman is to blame. ;)

12. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Go read Cheesesteak's thread.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I didn't read the other thread, maybe I commented in there too.. I saw the opposite happening in the past week or so. I *think* it was on an episode of "My Life on the D-List". It was for what I'd call "second tier" bad words. I think it was 'ass', actually (though I think she also said a-hole, and that was bleeped in both audio and captions). They bleeped the sound, but it was in the captions.

I'm fairly certain I've seen the same thing happen on broadcast channels too.

14. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Doesn't the CC system allow for multiple captions? Couldn't the first one be the edited version and the second the unedited version? Maybe the additional costs of having two sets of captions is too high for this to be reality?

Seems like this would be a decent solution. Makes those who are offended by bad words not have to see them but, allows the rest of us to chose to see them if we want.

For the record I only use captions (when available) on video games. And on occasion I have used it to figure out what someone said when the voice dialog is too low.

15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    To me, captions should match dialog. I understand what you're saying, but if you watch a show that says <curse word>, then the captions should show it. And if the show <beeps> out the audio, the captions should show <beep>. And if you're offended, don't watch those shows.

I watch "Warren the Ape" on MTV. Warren's got a mouth that would shame a sailor. Being MTV, they have to <beep><beep><beep> all the time. And the captions reflect that.

But AMC allows for d*mn and other milder curse words to be said. So show me the words on my captions!:mad:

16. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Yeah the lack of consistency makes no sense. If I can hear the word you should be able to read the word.

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I can understand making clean captions available. They just shouldn't be the default closed caption setting. I should have to select CC2 (or something like that) for clean captions.

18. tewcewl

tewcewl New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I agree. I've noticed this behavior. It's even stranger when you consider Breaking Bad's first season was fine.

19. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have always wondered why I need protection from language that I hear in normal conversation such as damn etc. The stuff should not be censored at all.

20. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Hah. Be careful. The censors might make sure both are censored.

I agree with you, I hate the bleeping in either CC or audio. And making a sound is silly to me, because it draws such attention to the words being bleeped. Of course, then I rewind to figure out what they said.