capacitor question

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by buscuitboy, Jan 6, 2021.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area

Advertisements

I have 2 Roamios that are now barely used. They record some local cable access channels maybe 3-4 times per month. I currently have them kept in standby mode most of the time. I know capacitors with the series 3 was an issue. Is having the Roamio in standby about 95% of the time better for the capacitors in the long run? Or as long as the Roamio is plugged in, the capacitors are being used?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can only answer that if you can tell me what is purpose of the specific capacitors. There is a slight temperature drop in Standby, so that helps. I have a spare Roamio. I only apply power to it on weekends. I think you can safely continue your procedure.

3. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Better(Maybe), but not in any amount that would make a difference.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The primary issue with the failing capacitors in S3 series units was not use or age, but that the capacitors themselves had faulty electrolytic compound in them which caused them to fail early, this has not been seen in Roamio or later units.

krkaufman and Pokemon_Dad like this.
  5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

Capacitors in question were part of the power supply in the S3.
    Roamio's, AFAIK, use wall warts for power.
    (not sure on the Roamio Pro, thus the AFAIK)

6. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    The base Roamio (4 tuner) uses a wall wart and the Plus/Pro (6 tuner) have an AC plug for the internal power supply. I've had my Plus plugged in and running for 6 years with no PS issues (yet!).

7. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    OK, I see. I guess Roamios are not the same design as some previous TiVos so can't really compare. I'll simply unplug as needed.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Design isn't part of the equation, faulty capacitors are the issue and Tivo apparently learned their lesson and moved to better suppliers.
    Even then, the S3 units should never have had the issue since "capacitor plague" was known about in the early 2000's and by 2005 when they were designing the units they should have been aware to stay away from known bad suppliers. If you want to go on a google rabbit hole trip, capacitor plague and how it came about is quite interesting.

ej42137 likes this.
  9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Thanks! I thought I knew about this, but reading the rest of the story was fascinating!