Can't watch while recording?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by msurtees, Aug 15, 2007.

1. msurtees

msurtees New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    I'm recording Top Chef. 30 minutes after this hour-long show starts recording I decide to watch from the beginning...but can't. The green time bar is at the beginning and doesn't expand past 0:00.

If I go to live tv to the channel...I get a blank screen.

This has happened before with another show and once the show is finished recording, all is fine.

Am I missing something???

2. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Sounds like you lost your cable channel.
    If you go to live TV and you get a blank screen, the answer is clear.
    TiVo can't record if there's no signal to record.

It will attempt to record during the scheduled time in case the channel is restored it can at least get a partial recording, but it won't record static or a blank screen. It needs to have a lock on a video signal for the recording to progress. That's why the timebar is stuck at 0:00

If you use a cable box it's possible it didn't correctly change the channel.
    If you use cablecards, it's possible that channel is too weak to receive properly or some other error is preventing it from tuning correctly.

If the channel miraculously tunes in properly as soon as the recording time is finished you might have a problem with your cablecard config or some kind of tuner glitch.
    Have you tried un-plugging the power for a minute and restarting it?
    Try starting a recording manually when the channel is displaying properly to see if that somehow disrupts reception and then stop the recording and see if the channel comes back.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm having this problem with my second TiVoHD. The cable signal is fine in my situation. The first TiVoHD was perfect except for the mono from analog channels. And I had to replace it since the TiVo people had no idea.Now I gave up an excellent TiVoHD for a crappy one. I'll need to exchange this one too. They really made my situation harder than it needed to be. And on top of that they probably won't even fix my problem since they have no idea what it is.
    I've quickly become pissed with them this week since expalining things multiple times and being on the phone for long periods.

4. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Try a cablecard test to make sure both cards are receiving all channels. Of course, be sure to test the channel you had the problem with.

Your TiVo may have been recording something else and tried to tune Top Chef on the card that was not working properly. When you say "once the show is finished recording, all is fine" it may then have switched back to the cablecard that works right.

If you find a difference you may need to reauthorize the card, get a new card, or you may have a problem with one of the tuners.